VPNAVY VP-5 Mercury Capsule Recovery
VPNAVY Address

HistoryVP-10 HistoryHistory

Circa 1939

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...U. S. S. Avocet..." WebSite: History Central m/navy/Minelayer/Avocet.html [19NOV2006]

Avocet spent the first six months of 1939 operating out of Pearl Harbor, interspersing the routine local evolutions with advanced base maneuvers-once at Hilo, twice at Midway, and once at French Frigate Shoals-and an inspection of Lisianski Island. During this time Capt. Whiting again flew his pennant briefly in Avocet and the ship supported VP-4, VP-6, VP-8 and VP-10 at varying times.

Sailing from Pearl Harbor on 23 June 1939 for San Diego, Avocet arrived at her destination on Independence Day having planeguarded for VP-1 en route. Now assigned to PatWing 1, the seaplane tender remained at San Diego until late August, at which time she shifted to San Pedro. The outbreak of war in Europe on 1 September 1939 found the ship moored alongside the submarine tender Argonne (AS-10) for upkeep. For the remainder of 1939, Avocet was based at the NAS North Island, San Diego, California, occasionally sup supporting advance base operations at San Pedro and Pyramid Cove off the island of San Clemente.

Circa 1938

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: VP-10 Detachment 13 ThumbnailCameraVP-10 Crew "...Photo taken in Hawaii in 1938 or 39. My Dad served as a radioman on PBY-Catalina's It shows the entire Patrol Squadron 10-F..." Contributed by Bruce Jenkins bjenkins@wisg.com [29OCT98]

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: VP-1, VP-4, VP-6, VP-10, and VP-18 made up Patrol Wing TWO in 1938
Title: U.S. Navy Aircraft 1921-1941, U.S. Marine Corps Aircraft 1914-1959: Two Classics in One Volume [Squadron insignias, aircraft, and more!] by William T. Larkins [10SEP98]

Circa 1937

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...History of FAW-2 - History of Headquarters Squadron Fleet Air Wing Three - History: 01OCT37 - 15MAY45 . Squadron's Assigned: VP-1, VP-4, VP-6, VP-8, VP-10, VP-13, VP-16, VP-21, VP-22, VP-23, VP-24, VP-25, VP-26, VP-27, - Submitted July 5, 1945..." Official U. S. Navy Records (National Archives and Records Administration) via Fold3 http://www.fold3.com/ [24NOV2012]

History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail      

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...U. S. S. Avocet..." WebSite: History Central m/navy/Minelayer/Avocet.html [18NOV2006]

...Subsequently transporting passengers to Kahului and Hilo, Avocet tended VP-1 at the latter port from 23 to 31 August 1937 before she returned briefly to Pearl Harbor. She sailed thence for French Frigate Shoals on 1 September, and tended, in succession, VP-8, VP-10, VP-6 and VP-4, until 19 September, at which point she returned to the Fleet Air Base. She remained at Pearl Harbor until 15 October, when she sailed for American Samoa...

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...Naval Aeronautic Organization - Change In - Fiscal Year 1938 - Dated 24 Sep 1937..." WebSite: Naval Historical Center http://www.history.navy.mil/ [25SEP2006]


VP-1, VP-2, VP-3, VP-4, VP-5, VP-6, VP-7, VP-8 and VP-9

VP-10, VP-11, VP-12, VP-14, VP-15, VP-16, VP-17 and VP-19
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...Naval Aeronautic Organization - Fiscal Year 1938 - Dated 7 May 1937..." WebSite: Naval Historical Center http://www.history.navy.mil/ [25SEP2006]


VP-1, VP-2, VP-3, VP-4, VP-5, VP-6, VP-7, VP-8 and VP-9

VP-10, VP-11, VP-12, VP-14, VP-15, VP-16, VP-17 and VP-19
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail

Circa 1936

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "25OCT36--After repairs at the Mare Island Navy Yard, Vallejo, Calif., USS Wright departed San Diego on 10 October 1936 for Pearl Harbor and thence sailed once more to French Frigate Shoals, reaching there on 25 October. She then landed a camp detachment to establish a base on East Island, and tended seaplanes from VP-1, VP-3, VP-4, and VP-10 until 6 November." http://namopdc.nawcad.navy.mil/talps/tapxo.htm

Circa 1935

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: History ThumbnailCameraVP-10 Post Card "...Patrol Squadron Ten Returns - Midway --- Hawaii - PBYS - VP10 - Sky Anchors Aweigh - Fleet Base Pearl Harbor Hawaii May 31, 1945..." WebSite: EBay http://cgi.ebay.com/U-S-1935 -Special-Midway-Hawaii-Airmail-Squadron-10_ W0QQitemZ170073722154QQihZ007QQcategoryZ689QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem [24JAN2007]

Circa 1934

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...Grandfathers (Admiral George T. Owen) personal collection..." Contributed by Terry Haisten chaisten@cox.net [08APR2012]


    VP-10 Cruising Up Coast to SF for Flight to Hawaii
    VP-10 Arriving San Francisco Prior to Record Setting Flight to Hawaii
    VP-10 10-P-1 Enroute San Diego to SF 4 Star Flag of Adm. D. F. Sellers CINC PAC on Bow.

History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: History ThumbnailCameraVP-10 History "...LCDR K. McGinnis, the flight ??? of the Squadron VP-10 and the personnel of the non-stop flight from San Francisco to Pearl Harbor at 12:30 PM. Record 24 hours 45 min, January 11, 1934..." Contributed by Nancy Bingman nbingman@earthlink.net [28DEC2002]

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: History ThumbnailCameraVP-10 History "...???? presentation of Banner commemorating flight of the Squadron VP-10 and the personnel of the non-stop flight from San Francisco to Pearl Harbor..." Contributed by Nancy Bingman nbingman@earthlink.net [28DEC2002]

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: History ThumbnailCameraVP-10 History "...National Broadcast arrival of VP-10 at ???? Air Base January 11, 1934..." Contributed by Nancy Bingman nbingman@earthlink.net [28DEC2002]

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: VP-10F PostCard "...Postmarked Tiburon, Ca on Jan 10,1934 the day of the Navy's Squadron VP-10F departure to Hawaii from San Francisco. The Squadron flew in formation 2,399 miles to Hawaii in 24 hours and 45 mins. and set three world's records..." [14OCT2000]

History"An Extraordinary Thing in a Routine Way" by LCDR Henry J. Hendrix II, USN, FOUNDATION Volume 20 Number 2 Fall 1999 Page 68 through 74 Picture

An Extraordinary Thing in a Routine Way
In an era of aviation stunts and daredevils, the pilots of VP-10 made flying look a little safer.
By LCDR Henry J. Hendrix II, USN

Numerous Pictures Removed To Save Load Time

Before the persistent morning fog lifted on 10 January 1934, six large flying boats, rocking at their piers, took on stores from supply wagons parked alongside the dock at Paradise Cove, San Francisco Bay. Snaking across the wood, hoses carried 6,000 pounds of fuel and 600 pounds of oil to each aircraft of VP-10F (more commonly referred to as VP-10), while men muscled the 75 pounds of food and water required for the journey ahead. If successful, all six of the squadron aircraft would appear simultaneously, in formation, over Diamondhead Point, Oahu, Territory of Hawaii, 25 hours later, breaking the aviation formation distance record.

With the supplies properly stowed, squadron commanding officer LCDR I Knefler "Soc" McGinnis inspected the aircraft and pronounced them ready. Generally, record breaking endeavors, with their S numerous hazards play havoc on there minds I of responsible parties, but for LCDR I McGinnis, the impending flight represented i simply the last leg of a repositioning movement that began for his squadron nearly six months earlier.

A young squadron, VP-10 had sprung into existence in July 1930 at Hampton Roads, Va. Beginning as scout-bombers, the squadron counted eight Martin T4M floatplanes in ifs original inventory, but soon upgraded to a force of PM-I scout planes. Operating in its early years from the i Hampton Roads base, VP-10 worked with I numerous Navy forces in the area as the I pilots perfected their scouting and bombing skills. In summer 1933, the command took delivery of a new aircraft: the Consolidated P2Y-1. New orders alerted the unit for permanent repositioning to Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii.

The P2Y-1 represented a new phase in flying boat patrol aircraft development. The canvas-skinned, twin-engined, seaquiplane (meaning that the lower wings are half the length of the upper wings) became the first of an evolving breed of Consolidated long-range patrol aircraft that would include the famed PBY Catalina. The P2Y-1 was based on the design of the XPY-I monoplane, the prototype built by Consolidated Aircraft Company, but whose production was awarded to the Glenn L. Martin Co.

With a wingspan of 100 feet and a nose-to-tail length of nearly 62 feet, the new seaplane was significantly larger than other aircraft in the Navy's inventory. Driven by two 575-horsepower Wright engines mounted just below the upper wing nacelles, the seaplane had a maximum-rated airspeed of 125 knots and a ceiling of 11,000 feet. With a fuel capacity of 6,000 pounds, the P2Y-1 had a theoretical maximum endurance of 28 hours, a factor critical in the computations of the upcoming journey.

Offensively, the new flying boat towered over its lightly-armed predecessors. Browning machine guns mounted in the nose and in hatches aft of the wings provided overlapping defensive fields of fire. The aircraft also possessed the capability to deliver 2,000 pounds of ordnance to targets 2,000 miles away. The P2Y-1, for its day, had teeth.

The transition from Hampton Roads to Pearl Harbor began in late summer 1933. Following weeks of familiarization flights in the new airplanes, the crews departed for NAS Coco Solo, Panama, Canal Zone. Once there, they planned to spend the fall working with naval units operating there under the command of RADM Alfred W. Johnson, evaluating the new seaplane's capabilities prior to moving on to Pearl Harbor.

Realizing that the most challenging aspect of the move to Hawaii would be the last non-stop leg over the Pacific, McGinnis chose to make the repositioning flight to Panama an "all up" test, instead of leap-frogging prudently along the coast of the United States and Mexico. The 2,059-nautical-mile distance between Virginia and Coco Solo approximated that of the Pacific flight, yet set in 1931 by the Italian aviator, Gen Italo Balbo, by almost 200 miles. Interestingly, no one in the U.S. Navy seemed to make much of the event. Their minds were focused, perhaps, on the long flight over the Pacific to come.

In the Canal Zone, VP-10 worked to integrate their aircraft into the tactical plans of the United States Fleet. The 1930s marked the golden age of the "Gun Club" - a Navy culture which emphasized the battleship as the centerpiece of the fleet. Commanders planned intricate maneuvers, always seeking to place their dreadnoughts across the enemy's line of battle. "Crossing the T" enabled a force to bring all of its guns to bear on the enemy simultaneously...

On 8 September 1933 six aircraft departed Hampton Roads with a manifest of 36 officers and crew. The flight presented a better test for the Pacific journey than anyone had hoped. Soon after takeoff, the formation encountered adverse weather and winds that necessitated in-flight replanning. At this point, newly incorporated radios paid dividends. Making use of this "modern" technology, McGinnis coordinated a course change, which avoided the most severe weather. He also directed a change in airspeed and fuel use to enable the formation to reach its destination without refueling. After 25 hours and 21 minutes of flight, battling headwinds all the way, the six aircraft of the squadron arrived together in Panama. The flight represented the longest formation flight to date, surpassing the previous record mission. Against this backdrop, patrol aircraft served as long-range scouts for the fleet. Eight years later, the battleship USS Arizona (BB-39), the pride of the Pacific fleet with her three gleaming batteries of 14-inch guns, would settle into the mud of Pearl Harbor with more than 1,000 men still below decks, victim of a single 500-pound bomb dropped from an aircraft.

In November, the fleet began its return to San Diego, Calif., and the six planes of VP-10 moved with it. Upon arrival, the squadron turned its attention to aircraft maintenance and the night formation flight techniques that would be vital to their mission's success. Meanwhile, plans were finalized concerning the flight to Pearl Harbor.

Those aims came to fruition with the promulgation of Operation Plan Number 2-33 on 22 December 1933. Acting upon the Naval Aeronautic Organization Plan, RADM Johnson ordered VP-10 to the Fleet Air Base at Pearl Harbor. The order directed "that this transfer be completed by flying the squadron from San Francisco to Pearl Harbor, on 12 January 1934, or as soon thereafter as favorable weather conditions prevail." Johnson added that "this force will conduct a non-stop flight by VP-Squadron 10 in one group ...". On 9 January 1934, the six aircraft landed at Paradise Cove, Calif., in San Francisco Bay, and immediately began preparations to depart for Pearl Harbor the next day.

After inspecting the aircraft, the squadron commander turned his attention to the weather. While his planes were rated as "all-weather," McGinnis knew it foolhardy to make the long journey in the face of storms. Meteorological reports from escort ships stationed along the proposed flight route, and a seasoned look at the skies, told McGinnis what he needed to know. The skies were clear, and the winds were calm. It was a day made for flying. With the observation, "We'll be eating pineapples in Honolulu tomorrow," McGinnis ordered engines started. It was noon.

The takeoff and formation join up of the squadron aircraft turned out to be a long and laborious battle against weight and water surface tension. Calm winds and clear skies, while great for flying, presented unforeseen difficulties, for the heavily laden seaplanes. Large aircraft with boat-like hulls need a slight wind and light waves to break the sunction of the sea's surface and bounce into the air. The glassy waters of Paradise Cove provided no such assistance.

A half-hour after starting engines, Plane Four, piloted by LT Thomas D. Guinn, hopped a small wave and clawed its way skyward. Orbiting over the bay, he awaited the others. By l300 only Plane One, piloted by McGinnis, had joined up. Back and forth the other aircraft taxied and sprinted, time and time again only to fail. Smaller seaplanes and friendly boats zigzagged across the cove in an attempt to artificially create the waves needed to get the planes airborne, but to no avail. Overhead Planes One and Four circled, wasting valuable fuel, while McGinnis began to consider the embarrassing possibility of canceling the flight on account of good weather. Then, at 1357, Plane Five discovered a cell of wind off San Quentin and leaped airborne. By 1411 the last of the aircraft was climbing up to join with the squadron formation assembling over the bay. At 1425, six planes, stacked in a dual chevron formation, passed over the newly built first cable tower of the incomplete Golden Gate Bridge. Behind the squadron was land and safety. Hawaii lay 2,400 miles ahead. Between the two points - ocean.

It was not all sea and sky for the aircraft of VP-10. Three hours after takeoff, the seaplanes passed over USS Sandpiper (AM-51), the first of six observation ships stationed at 300-mile intervals along the great circle course laid out between San Francisco and Hawaii. Other vessels involved included USS Schenk (DD-159), USS Breese (DM-18), USS Whippoorwill (AM-35), USS Wright (AZ-I) and USS Pelican (AM-27). At 1900, the first complication, fog, appeared ahead of the seaplanes as the sun began to fade on the horizon. Within minutes the aviators found formation and, subsequently, was not with them as they passed over Breese, stationed at the 900-mile mark from San Francisco. As the small vessel Breese receded behind them, the seaplanes emerged briefly from the fog bank, allowing LT Perry to rejoin. Three hours later, just prior to flying over Whip-poorwill. Perry's plane again separated from the group, but joined up again at sunrise. Perry's difficulty in keeping station was probably because he was added to the squadron at the last minute to replace an officer who had become ill. Just one week earlier, he had been serving as the flag secretary to RADM Johnson.

Perry's problems represented a grave concern for both the mission's principle planners and the crews involved. Long overwater flights in the 1930s were always in the realm of chance and danger. It had been only six years since Lindbergh had soloed the Atlantic, and all of the crewmen on the VP-10 flight remembered the fatal attempts that had proceeded the "Lone Eagle's" success. More recently they followed attentively flights much like their own that had attempted to span the distance between the West Coast of North America and Hawaii. Between 1927 and 1928, seven people perished over the Pacific before it was conquered by Army pilots Lester Maltland and Albert Hengenberger. On 1 September 1925, Navy pilots CDR John Rodgers, LT Byron J. Council themselves engulfed in a thickening bank of clouds Attempting to break into clear air, the squadror varied its altitude from 500 to 5,000 feet. When it became apparent that the much sought-after visibility was not to be found, the squadron settlec back to its cruise altitude of 2,000 feet. Fog forced the pilots to struggle throughout the evening with the unnerving task of maintaining visual contact while also keeping a safe distance between aircraft.

Just after midnight, still in formation and experiencing no difficulties aside from the fog, the flyers spotted the. lights of the patrol boat Schenk and established radio contact. Three hours later. LT John Perry, plane commander of Plane Five. radioed that he had lost visual contact with the and their crew of three, attempting a flight from San Francisco to Honolulu in a PN-9, ran out of fuel just short of their goal and made a forced landing into the waters east of Honolulu. The men were lost at sea for 10 days, during which time they rigged a sail and set a course for Kauai Island, but they were eventually found and rescued by submarine R-4. It was not the goal of VP-10 to accomplish such an aviation "stunt." Instead the squadron intended to fly to Hawaii in such a way as to make their unusual flight look routine.

With the rising of the sun, the squadron discovered that the perfect weather forecast in San Francisco did not materialize. Instead the new day brought an irritating haze. However, it posed no real threat to the formation other than a degrading effect on extended visibility The force passed in formation over the last two safety vessels, Wnght and Pelican, without incident.

High noon on 11 January 1934 found LCDR McGinni sand the personnel of VP-10 tired It had been 24 hours since they had started engines back in Paradise Cove - hours spent maintaining formation, despite the fog and haze Yet, the crews were quietly becoming aware of the approaching success of the mission Planes designed for long-range, overwater operations performed as advertised No major mechanical malfunctions befell them, and the constant, even sound of the Wnght engines made it seem unlikely that there were going to be any breakdowns on this trip At 1205, radiomen at Pearl Harbor heard the distinct Morse key of RMIc Glenn Eddy aboard Plane One broadcasting that the formation's estimated arrival time in Honolulu was 1500.

At 1430 an Army Air Corps pilot, prepositioned to spot the squadron, excitedly reported six aircraft closing on the islands from the northeast His report was quickly followed by the methodical dots and dashes of radioman Eddy keying, "Request permission to land and moor at assigned beach McGinnis " The reply, "Permission granted," was a foregone conclusion, but necessary to satisfy both military and historical formalities.

As the planes approached within sight of the islands, they shifted into a tight vee formation and veered to the south Minutes later, the sound of 12 Wnght G-1820E engines echoed off the rocks as the large seaplanes skimmed over Diamond Head Point and then arced toward downtown Honolulu There, thousands of residents looked skyward in hopes of seeing the record-breaking aircraft now familiar through numerous newspaper and radio reports In acknowledgement, the six Consolidated P2Y-1 s flashed over the crowds low enough that the spectators recognized crew-men waving to them from the air The crowd roared in approval.

Following arrival, the formation swung down the beach toward Pearl Harbor With the end of the long, grueling flight in sight, the men of VP-10 could not pass up the opportunity to announce their arrival in style The crowds of dignitaries and spectators were treated to the sight of the formation of six aircraft circling NAS Ford Island, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, then quickly, almost anti-climatically, landing in the calm waters of the harbor LCDR McGinnis landed first at 1459, followed by Planes Two, Three, Four, Five and Six, in order Plane Six landed at 1507 The record-breaking flight was over The flight of 2.408 miles had taken 24 hours and 43 minutes, at an average speed of 98.4 mph.

Telegrams of congratulations flowed into the Honolulu Western Union station. RADM Ernest J. King, Chief of the Bureau of Aeronautics, sent a telegram staling, "The Chief and officers of the Bureau of Aeronautics heartily congratulate Commander VP Squadron Ten and his officers and men on the successful and workmanlike accomplishment of the non-stop flight ... which is the longest formation ... flight in the history of aviation." J. T. Trippe, president of the fledgling Pan American Airways Company, wired his congratulations and issued a statement praising this latest demonstration of the safety and reliability of modern air travel. Even the commander in chief, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, sent his personal regards to "Soc" McGinnis, praising both the men and the aircraft of VP-10.

While the VP-10 flight is not generally remembered in the same breath as other great aviation feats of the 20th century, it did have its impact upon history. At its heart, the flight heralded the arrival and subsequent operation of the squadron in the Hawaiian theater. The tactics developed by the squadron during its stop in Panama with the American fleet became the basis for fleet operations in the years ahead. In June 1942, following bruising losses at Pearl Harbor, aircraft from VP-10 (now redesignated VP-23) on patrol from their base on Midway Island became the first American elements to spot elements of the Japanese fleet. The squadron went on to serve with distinction as reconnaissance scouts during the Guadacanal campaign.

The flight had a profound effect upon the way Naval Aviation was perceived by Congress. In early 1934, many people in the government proposed modeling the American military after the British model, which consolidated all military aircraft and their associated personnel into one central air service. VP-10's flight, according to Chief of Naval Operations ADM David Sellers in a statement to Congress, affirmed "the wisdom of our national policy of retaining our Naval Aviation as an integral part of the fleet." The policy survived the debate and has continued to serve our nation well in the 65 years that have followed.

The flight's greatest impact fell on the commercial market. In every sense, VP-10's success marked a watershed in the way that people perceived flying. While the flight did garner its share of publicity in the national newspapers and radio programs, the historical observer is quick to note a lack of fear or apprehension accompanying the news reports. The flight was, as Acting Navy Secretary Henry Roosevelt stated, "[in] no sense a stunt. They used our service planes, without alterations or additions in personnel or equipment, and did an extraordinary thing in a routine way." Accepted as a success even before leaving San Francisco, the VP-10 flight erased many of the public's questions concerning the safety of transoceanic flights. Within 18 months, the newly franchised Pan American Airways Company began scheduled flights between San Francisco, Hawaii, and points beyond.

LCDR Henry J. Hendrix II, USN, was commissioned in 1988 through the NROTC program at Purdue University after receiving a bachelor's degree in political science. He earned his wings in 1989 and was assigned to VP-10 in Brunsick Maine, where he served in a variety of positions. In 1990 he was named the Casco Bay Junior Officer of the Year by the Navy League. He deployed to the Mediterranean, Red Sea, North Atlantic and Caribbean, and he participated in Operation Desert Storm.

In 1993, Hendrix was ordered to the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif, where he earned a master's degree with distinction in national security affairs. His thesis, The Roots of Japanese Militarism, was recognized as a significant contribution to the historical record by the Naval Historical Society, which named him the 1993 Samuel Eliot Morison Scholar.

Hendrix was assigned to USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) in 1993, where he served as a tactical action officer and as the operations department training officer. He completed two Mediterranean deployments and was named the ship's Junior Officer of the Year in 1997.

In 1997 Hendrix reported to VP-30, the P-3 fleet replacement squadron, as an instructor. Assigned as the fleet training officer, he headed the fleet instructor under training, aircrew coordination training, fleet projects team and fleet introduction team. As leader of the fleet introduction team, Hendrix led efforts to introduce the ASUW Improvement Program throughout the maritime patrol aviation community.

Hendrix is currently assigned to VP-8 in NAS Brunswick, Maine, as the administrative officer. His decorations include the Navy Commendation Medal (2), the Navy and Marine Corps Acheivement Medal (2) and numerous unit and campaign awards. He and his wife, Penny, have one daughter, Amanda Lynn.

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "00JAN34--Early in January, 1934, Lt. Commander K. McGinnis led the six P2Y's of VP-10 Squadron north to Acapulco (1,667 miles) and then to San Diego (1,616 miles). Here the squadron received assignment to Pearl Harbor. "It was then just a question of whether we would fly over or put the planes on ships," McGinnis recalls. On January 9 the P2Y's flew to San Francisco, and the next day took off for Pearl Harbor - an overwater stretch never before flown by military planes..."Golden Wings - A Pictorial History of the United States Navy and Marine Corps in the Air" by Martin Caidin in co-operation with the U.S. Navy ISBN 0-405-03755-4.

Circa 1930

HistoryHISTORY: "Patrol Squadron TEN is considered to be one of the original Patrol Squadrons in aviation history. The earliest confirmed mention of VP-10 is found on July 1, 1930, with the commissioning of Patrol Bombing Squadron 10S. VP-10 was commissioned as a derivative of VS-15, which can be traced back as far as 1921. Other patrol squadrons active today can trace their heritage to once having been a detachment of or otherwise associated with VP-10. In the early days of World War II, Patrol Squadron TEN was a forerunner in the development of long-range patrol operations. It has been involved in the initial establishment of visual search, scouting, and long range bombing missions, and ultimately as part of the world's most sophisticated and successful airborne anti-submarine warfare organization. In February 1935, VP-10 set a new world record for non-stop formation transpacific flight, in a 24-hour transit from San Francisco to Hawaii. After its arrival in Hawaii, VP-10 served throughout the Pacific for the next seven years. On December 7, 1941, eight of the squadron's twelve aircraft were destroyed or damaged in the Pearl Harbor attack, and from that time VP-10 remained in the Pacific theater of operations throughout World War II. In June 1942, VP-10 aircraft were the first to alert U.S. forces of the enemy movement which led to the battle of Midway. VP-10 continued to serve throughout World War II with distinction. With the war's end, the squadron was Disestablished on January 25, 1946. Following recommissioning in March 1951, Patrol Squadron TEN began flying the P-2V Neptune aircraft and was stationed in Jacksonville, Florida. VP-10 then moved to Brunswick, Maine where it is homeported today. 1965 brought two years of transition, when the P-3A Orion aircraft was delivered and a year later the P-3B arrived which served the squadron until 1980 when the squadron transitioned to the P-3C Update II. Then in 1995, the squadron transitioned to the P-3C Update III. These aircraft have marked significant advancements in the fast developing field of antisubmarine warfare. The squadron has flown P-3 aircraft to numerous sites throughout the Atlantic and Mediterranean, including Bermuda; NAF Lajes, Azores, Portugal; Argentina, Newfoundland; Rota, Spain; the Panama Canal Zone; Sigonella, Sicily; Puerto Rico; Iceland and others. Since reactivation in 1951, the squadron has been awarded the Navy Unit commendation, the Navy Meritorious Unit commendation on six occasions for its continued excellence and the coveted Navy Battle "E" on three occasions for efficiency in operational performance. Additional awards include three "Top Bloodhound" awards, four Golden Orions and one Bronze Anchor for retention excellence. VP-10 has won four Captain Arnold J. Isbell Trophy for ASW excellence, and is the first squadron to win this award consecutively since its first presentation in 1958. Additionally, Patrol Squadron TEN has won one Atlantic Fleet Golden Wrench award for outstanding maintenance and numerous Commander, Sixth Fleet "Hook Em" awards for ASW excellence. 1993 marked another important milestone when the 'Red Lancers' were recognized by the Commander, Naval Air Forces, Atlantic Fleet for completing their twentieth year and over 133,000 mishap free flight hours. 1994 brought the Red Lancers' to Sigonella, Sicily for deployment in support of United Nations operations Desert Storm, Support Hope, Provide Promise, Sharp Guard, and Deny Flight. This, coupled with the squadron's 'safety first' attitude, helped VP-10 win the CNO Safety Award for the seventh time and second consecutive year. 1996 has brought new recognition and challenges for the 'Red Lancers' . March of this year saw Patrol Squadron TEN once again recognized by Commander, Naval Air Forces, United States Atlantic Fleet for completing 23 years and over 145,000 hours of mishap free flying. The squadron has also just completed a demanding tri-site deployment to Puerto Rico, Iceland and Panama." http://flightdeck.airlant.navy.mil/public/chvp10.htm

"VP-10 History Summary Page"

Selection Page

VPNAVY Copyrighted  1996 - 2012