VP-5 Squadron Shipmates
VPNAVY Address

ShipmateVP-149 ShipmatesShipmate

CARTER, LT Robert c/o His Son Andrew Carter carter@cstone.net "...My father, Lt. Robert Carter (VP-149), flew PV-1's patrolling the China Sea from the Phillipines. He was awarded the DFC for leading his squadron through a typhoon at wave height. His group survived. Another section tried to fly over the storm and were never seen again; it is believed they ran out of fuel. Naturally, my father did not talk much about his war years. I am glad to learn about his experiences. Thank you very much for maintaining this website for people like me..." [18DEC2001]

JABLONSKI, Robert F. c/o Jeffrey Jablonski zonker70@hotmail.com "...My Father, Robert F. Jablonski, served with VPB-149. If their is anybody that can share information about my father during the war please e-mail me..." [20OCT2005]

LAHEY, Charles J. c/o Stuart Myers sgmyers4@yahoo.com "...My father-in-law, Charles J. Lahey, was a member of VPB-149 from 1944 through September 1945. I am looking for any of his Shipmates or families who may have information on his service during the war. I am compiling a family history and any information or photos taken during this period are greatly appreciated..." [20DEC2005]

Memorial Picture "...McENERY, CDR Thomas V...Former member of VPB-149, passed away in December 1999 at a hospital in Monroe, LA, as a result of an accidental fall in which his head was injured. CDR McEnery had for many years devoted his energies to directing the prize winning NROTC units in the local schools..." Contributed by William Russell Rexlee@email.msn.com [12FEB2000]

OGLESBY, John T., Jr. joglesby@ntrnet.net "...Regarding the 03March43 (VB-126) A/C: PBY-5A Location Greenland - Near Julianehaab by Ragner J. Ragnarsson - I have just recently discovered the VPNavy site and while browsing through, ran across your report of the PBY-5A crash on March 3, 1943. I served in VP-93 (later VP-126). I was supposed to be on this flight, but because of an illness (cat fever), was left in Boston to recuperate. As I recall, the plane captain was Leininger and Moore was the 2nd Mec. I don't recall the others, but Schutz and McEnroe (radio operators) may have been aboard. I believe that 12 souls were lost on this flight. When I recovered several days after the flight, I came back to my hometown of Morehead City, NC on leave. A week or so later after coming back from leave, I flew on our new PV-1 to NAS Argentia, Newfoundland, Canada and then on April 22nd, went on to Greenland. Only then did I learn of the fateful accident and my close call. I served on PBY-5A's as Plane Captain from March 42 until April 43. Next I was Plane Captain on the PV-1 until the end of the war. From September 46 until leaving service in March 47, I also was Plane Captain on PBM's. I was in VP-93 until August 1943. Thereafter Bartlett (Leading Chief) two others, and myself were the start-up group for VP-149. I was in VP-149 until August 1945. Except for training in the US, all of my service in VP-149 was in the Pacific Theater. I would appreciate a note from others telling of your involvement in VP-93 (VP-126) and VB-149 from March 1943 until August 1945. Regards..." [22FEB2001]

RUSSELL, William Rexlee@email.msn.com "...In December 1941, I joined Scouting Squadron One, First Naval District (VS-1D1) at NAS Squantum, Massachusetts, as an aviation radio man. The aircraft were Vought Sikorsky Kingfishers, some on floats but most on wheels. Our area of ops was from the approaches to New York harbor to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Our skipper was LCDR "Rosy" Rosasco, a good guy. Our aviators were first rate. It was a fine outfit. I left the squadron in January 1943 to become a V-5 aviation cadet. I later became a patrol plane commander flying the Vega Ventura PV1 in VPB-149, in the Philippines at Samar when the war ended..." [12FEB2000]

WOOD, Charles Mills Jr. (Deceased) http://www.usna.com/history/classof1940/W.htm "...Charles Mills Wood, Jr. ("C.M." to his family and "Jughead" to his Naval Academy friends) was one of fourteen of the class of '40 who reported to USS NEVADA (BB36) upon graduation. During the two years, he served in NEVADA, Jug was assigned to communications. Ashore in Honolulu on December 7, 1941, he managed to get back on board while the Jap attack was still in progress. He stayed with NEVADA during salvage at Pearl Harbor and return to Bremerton for repairs and modernization. In the summer of 1942, he married Nell Rice Wynn, his Naval Academy OAO and Ring Dance date. Orders to flight training brought detachment from NEVADA in October, 1942. In May, 1943, a son, Charles Mills Wood III was born; and Jug was perhaps even prouder of his son than most new fathers. (C.M. Wood III graduated from USNA in the class of 1965 and recently retired as a Commander, USN, after a career in submarines). Upon completion of flight training, Jug was ordered to VPB-149. After being stationed on Cape Cod and at NAS Quonset Point, Rhode Island, VPB-149 was ordered to the Pacific area and in February, 1945, arrived at Tacloban on Leyte Island, Philippines. On March 22, 1945, while on a routine patrol flight, which included an attack on a Japanese installation, Jug failed to return. He was declared missing and a year later was declared to be legally deceased. In 1950, a U.S. Army Graves Registration Team located a crashed PV-1 bomber in the area where Jug's plane had last been contacted. The remains of those found in the crashed plane were subsequently identified as those of Jug and his crew. They are buried in a common grave at the Fort Zachary Taylor National Cemetery in Louisville, Kentucky. Jug was a good friend, an outstanding naval officer and a strong person of the highest integrity and character. He has been sorely missed, especially by his family and those of us who knew him best. (Submitted by Al Cook)..." [05JUL2003]

"VP-149 Summary Page"