VPNAVY VP-5 Mercury Capsule Recovery
VPNAVY Address

HistoryVP-1 HistoryHistory

Circa 1948

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...Known VP-1 P2V/P-2H Neptunes. Any additions and corrections welcome. BUNO--CODE--DATE: 39333 DP-? 4 Nov 48...124886 CD-?...128410 CD-?...128413 CD-? 55...128414 CD-?...131447 YB-? 17 Feb 59...135545 YB-9...135598 YB-2...135618 YB-7...140151 YB-3...140153 YB-11 Sep 68...140964 YB-9 ??...140964 YB-5 13 Apr 66...140964 YB-5 9 Sep 68...140967 YB-8...140971 YB-2...140980 YB-11...141236 YB-11...141240 YB-? 25 Jan 68...141247 YB-4...141249 YB-12...142545 YB-7...142545 YB-4 9 Sep 68...145901 YB-3 24 Apr 69...145910 YB-10 Oct 67...145911 YB-1...145919 YB-6...147958 YB-2...147961 YB-10...148343 YB-? May 66...150279 YB-8 9 Sep 68...150280 YB-10 Apr 66...150281 YB-4...150282 YB-1 17 May 69...150282 YB-7 9 Sep 69..." Contributed by Baldur Sveinsson baldur@verslo.is WebSite: http://www.verslo.is/baldur/ [13DEC98]

Books"Title: Lockheed P2V Neptune An Illustrated History by Wayne Mutza wmutza@wi.rr.com...A Schiffer Military History Book...ISBN: 0-7643-0151-9...286 pages full of pictures and history!

Circa 1944 - 1948

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: HISTORY "...During World War II, VP-1 carried the VB-128 designation and flew the PV-1 aircraft...VPB-128 pilot, LCDR Claude Roger Parent personal records - scanned from my Father's records..." Contributed by Beau Parent bparent121@msn.com [21MAR2021]

During World War II, VP-1 carried the VB-128 designation and flew the PV-1 aircraft. The squadron was stationed at Floyd Bennett Field, in Brooklyn, N.Y. It was here that Parent met his wife, Beverly. The two were married shortly after VB-128 returned from an Icelandic deployment where the squadron was credited with sinking one German U-Boat and damaging another. Following the Icelandic deployment, Parent served in Puerto Rico, Okinawa and the Philippines before retiring after WWII as a lieutenant commander.

Mike Parent, Claude’s oldest son, related of one of his father's favorite stories from his time as a naval aviator. "In advance of the squadron's transfer to Iceland, dad was flying a PV-1 on patrol over the Gulf of St. Lawrence when his plane lost radio communication, navigation and instruments in bad weather," Mike said. "He flew patterns hoping to make visual contact above or below the clouds. Low on fuel he had to risk dropping through the clouds. He flew to where he thought they would be over the Gulf, not mountains and forest.

"Flying just above the water in a rain storm, he could see a spit of land to the north. Turning towards it a river became visible that he was able to identify as the Natashquan. From that point no airfield was within their remaining fuel range. Unlike the land which was covered by either forest or bogs, the river was braided through long gravel bars where Dad set down his plane, wheels up and engines off.

"No one on the crew suffered even the slightest injury. The plane was only slightly damaged, and a month later it was flown off the gravel bar for additional repairs before being put back into service," Mike said, remembering his dad's story.

Today the Natashquan River area in eastern Quebec is best known for fly fishing and its salmon run. In a somewhat ironic stroke of luck, the area where LCDR crash landed was named after an 18th century Catholic priest and is known today as "Pointe-Parent".

Parent was laid to rest with honors on Jan. 31 at the National Veterans' Cemetery in Dixon, Calif. Shortly before the start of the ceremony, a P-3 Orion flew by the cemetery.

Circa 1944

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...History of FAW-14 - History from 15OCT42-01DEC42 - Submitted December 22nd, 1944. Squadron's Assigned: VP-1, VP-2, VP-4, VP-11, VP-12, VP-13, VP-14, VP-15, VP-21, VP-23, VP-24, VP-33, VP-44, VP-53, VP-54, VP-71, VP-72, VP-81, VP-91, VP-101, VP-102, VP-103, VP-104, VP-106, VP-109, VP-111, VP-115, VP-117, VP-118, VP-119, VP-121, VP-122 and VP-202..." Official U. S. Navy Records (National Archives and Records Administration) via Fold3 http://www.fold3.com/ [06DEC2012]

History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail      

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...History of FAW-14 - History from 15OCT42-01DEC42 - Submitted December 22nd, 1944. Squadron's Assigned: VP-1, VP-2, VP-4, VP-11, VP-12, VP-13, VP-14, VP-15, VP-21, VP-23, VP-24, VP-33, VP-44, VP-53, VP-54, VP-71, VP-72, VP-81, VP-91, VP-101, VP-102, VP-103, VP-104, VP-106, VP-109, VP-111, VP-115, VP-117, VP-118, VP-119, VP-121, VP-122 and VP-202..." Official U. S. Navy Records (National Archives and Records Administration) via Fold3 http://www.fold3.com/ [06DEC2012]

History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail      

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...VP-1 - Location and Composition - 14 PB2Y-3 Flying Boats at NAS Coco Solo, Panama, Canal Zone..." Official U. S. Navy Records (National Archives and Records Administration) via Fold3 http://www.fold3.com/ [20OCT2012]

History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail
History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail 

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: History ThumbnailCameraVP-1 Officer's "...VP-1 June 1944 Officer's Photograph from my brother's (WEISENBERG, CDR Joseph O. "Joe") collection..." Gene Weisenberg eweisenberg@att.net [30MAR2010]

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...Full Text Citations For Award of The Navy Cross - To U.S. Navy Personnel - World War II - (2,889 Awards) - Navy Cross Citations U.S. Navy - World War II..." WebSite: Home of Heros http://www.homeofheroes.com/ valor/ 1_Citations/ 03_wwii-nc/ nc_06wwii_navyR.html [23NOV2007]



The Navy Cross is presented to William Augustus Read, Lieutenant, U.S. Navy (Reserve), for extraordinary heroism in action 19 October 1944, while serving with Patrol-Bombing Squadron 1 (VPB-1) at Puerta Princissa. His outstanding courage and determined skill were at all times inspiring and in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...Was sent as a replacement to join VP-1 at NAS Coco Solo, Panama, Canal Zone, which flew PB2Y-3 equipment. Assigned to crew on P-64 (ser 7140) as second mech for my first flight. Deployed to Seymore Island, Galapagoes, on 1 June, and from then on switched between there and Panama. From Galapagoes did patrol tracks to Salinas, Ecuador, and to Corinto, Nicaragua. From Coco Solo did antisub sweeps to Columbia and Honduras, and convoy coverage. ( In 1944, not long after my arrival, a sub sank a ship right off the Cristobal breakwater.) VP-1 moved to San Diego in late February 1945 and was decommissioned. After leave, we were all reassigned, most of us to the newly formed VPB-4, operating with newly overhauled PB2Y-5 equipment out of San Diego....." Contributed by William J. Bonville bonville@q.com WebSite: http://home.cdsnet.net/~bonville/

Circa 1944 - 1945

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: VPB-1 History "...VP-1 Recognizes Passing of VPB-128 Pilot, LCDR Claude Roger Parent - Aug 28, 1916 - Jan 27, 2013...VPB-128 pilot, LCDR Claude Roger Parent personal records - scanned from my Father's records..." Contributed by Beau Parent bparent121@msn.com [E-Mail Updated 21MAR2021 | 20MAR2021]

History - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail History - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail

1943 - 1947

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...WWII Journal of William C. Roth - April 1943, through November 1947 - Written July 2005..." WebSite: http://wwii.thedance.net/ [13NOV2005]

Joining the Navy

After I received my greetings from the president, an invitation I could not refuse, I took my physical in Phila, Pa.  When I passed the physical they asked me what branch of the military I wished to join. Only gave you a few seconds to decide.  I quickly thought the Army marches too much in mud and sleeps on the ground the Marines are crazy for fighting and really gung-ho, the Coast Guard has no glory, so that left the Navy, which I chose.

At first they would not approve my choice as I had a full set of dentures.  I told them I did not want to bite the enemy, only to fight them.  They finally said okey and put me in the Navy.

On April 2, l943, a second date that will live in infamy, I joined the Navy.

My brother Harry and his wife Evelyn took me to the Reading Railroad Terminal in Philadelphia late that evening.  After an all night train ride to Seneca, New York, we were given a stale cheese sandwich and an orange to eat.  I said to myself, what the h--- am I getting myself into.

The U.S.  Naval Training Station at Sampson, New York was brand new. There was mud everywhere and we had to scrape the paint from the windows.

We graduated from Boot camp on June 5,1943 as Company 330.

Most of the guys were from all over Pennsylvania and New Jersey, also some from Conn.  Harry Polinski and I were both from Lester, Pa.  At the end of Boot camp they asked us what branch of the Navy we wished to continue in.  Harry and I decided to pick Fire Control (Harry) and Aviation Radioman (me) as our number one choices.  That way if one did not get our first choice, we would still be together, as luck would have it we both got our first choices...

They promised me that if would go to Yeoman's training, I would be a Petty Officer 3rd class in 6 weeks, I had a very good background in office studies since I graduated from Ridley Park High School, one of the best commercial courses in the area.

But, being 19 years old, and stupid, I did not want to spend my Navy career behind a desk, so I said No Thanks.  I want to fight the enemy, so naïve at this age.

Radioman Training

So I went to Naval Air Technical Training Center in NAS Memphis, Tennessee from June to November 1943.  We spent many hours learning Morse Code and sending and receiving radio messages.

On Nov 6,1943 I graduated in Class R1 Aviation Radio Man Course...  In that class was a James Henry Mooney, of which you will hear more about later.

Upon graduation from Aviation Radioman School were asked to volunteer for Aviation Gunnery School.  The ones who did not volunteer were shipped out to New Orleans to be assigned to Naval Vessels.

Those that volunteered were sent to Naval Air Gunnery School in Hollywood, Fla.  What great duty.  It was formerly a boys military academy.  We were four to a dorm with our own bath... no fence around the school.  We were free to go as we pleased.  But that did not last long as we graduated Dec 18,1943. 

Next I went to NAS Lake City, Florida where I flew 34 hours in a PV-2 twin engine Navy plane for training.  Then onto Beaufort, S.C. flying 39.4 hours in a PV-2 doing air-to-air gunnery training.

It was while at NAS Lake City, Florida our PV-2 flew into the eye of a hurricane to take pictures within the eye, what an experience?

Tape To EnlargeAll this time we were training to be radio/gunners for a TBF Squadron (Torpedo Bomber Fighter).

As fate would have it, about this time a hurricane over NAS Corpus Christi, Texas delayed the training of the TBF pilot.

So we were asked to choose between staying with the TBF training or transferring to a Land Based Anti-Submarine B-24 Bomber Squadron.

I had just read in the paper about an entire squadron of TBF's being wiped out in the Pacific by the Japanese, seeing as how my Mother did not raise any dumb children.  I opted for the B-24 bombers.

Tape To Enlarge

King Sol's Jesters

I was sent to the NAS Chincoteague, Virginia, to be assigned to a flight crew.

Arriving at NAS Chincoteague, Virginia I was assigned to be a Radioman in Lt.  Commander William Soloman's flight crew.  As Lt.  Commander Soloman was not expected until the following week I hitchhiked home to Lester, Pa for the week-end...  However, Lt.  Commander Soloman arrived early.

He wanted to meet his crew, and he was not too happy to be unable to find his radioman.  I received a Captains Mast (similar to a court martial), first of five Captains Mast received in my Navy career, a couple for being A.W.O.L., one for drunk and disorderly, one for gambling aboard ship, and the one that hurt the most of all, shirking duty.

Tape To EnlargeFinally the whole crew got together and took a get acquainted flight.  The pilot was Lt.  Commander William Soloman (Sol), co-pilot was Lt.  Keyhoe, navigator was Ensign Gee.  Ray Purviance was crew chief, William (Bo) Beauchman, mechanic.  Nick Molchan, mechanic, Rudy (Jake) Ramstack, radioman.  William (Tool) Purviance, ordinance man, William (Bill) Miller, mechanic and William (C. Note Charlie) Roth, radioman.  As you can see there were too many William's, so we had to have nicknames for everyone and the fact that I had a C-Note ($100.) bill stashed away in my wallet.  Never did use it.

While at NAS Chincoteague, Virginia, the afore mentioned James (Jim) Mooney and I decided to buy some new Navy Blue Suits (Whipcord) in order to impress the ladies.  I told him I knew just the place, South Street in Philadelphia, where all the Jewish tailors were located.  So we hitchhiked to Lester to buy some new blues.  Unfortunately, it was a Jewish holiday and no shops were open.  We took the trolley back to Lester, bought some beer and sat on the fence at my home watching the ladies come off Westinghouse after their shift.  Then we went to a local bar and we met the Mayor of Tinicum Twp whom I knew quite well.  He drove us around Lester and Essington stopping at each bar.  Sometime in the wee hours of the morning he dumped us out on the street in front of my home.  Was all I could do to reach the door bell.  My parents came down and my Mother said "Poor boys, they are sick".  My Father said "Sick Hell they are drunk." We never did get our dress blues...

One of the other B-24 crews at NAS Chincoteague, Virginia had an old Dodge four door sedan with no plates or ownership papers.  The car was sold or handed down to a new crew when the old crew shipped out.  We bought or received this car.  We drove it to Salisbury, Md., about 20 miles away for Liberty.  I met a nice young lady who was a telephone operator.  After 11:00 P.M. any day I could make free phone calls to anywhere in the U.S.  For gas in the Dodge we used aviation fuel, which was not too good for the car, before we shipped out the car blew it's engine, so pushed it into the weeds and left.

We would fly practice flights at least once a week but the final flight before shipping out was a simulated full bomb load, full gas load and a ten to eleven hour flight.  Some of the planes could not take all this weight.  Several of the crews ahead of us were not too lucky.  One crashed into the woods, all ten or eleven crew were lost.  One crashed at sea also losing all the crew.  One had to ditch in the ocean, losing all but three or four crew.  When it was our turn for the final flight were a little nervous!!!!!!!!!  At the end of the runway the pilot revved up the four engines as much as he could with the brakes on.  When I got off the radio I stood in the cockpit between the pilot and co-pilot.  Old Sol was pulling back on the wheel as hard as he could, he was a large powerful man...  I could see the trees at the end of the runway coming up fast.  We got airborne and the wheels just missed the trees.

South Atlantic Patrol

After that flight we were assigned to a VPB-1 Liberator Squadron, out of NAF Natal, Brazil, flying anti-submarine patrols in the South Atlantic.

Tape To EnlargePart of the squadron were sent to NAS Norfolk, Virginia, to board a ship that would take us to NAF Natal, Brazil...  We got aboard the USS Albemarle (AV-5), a seaplane tender.  There were not enough berths so we slept on the inside hanger deck.  The first morning we awoke to a loud clamor, pipes were piping, bugles were blowing, etc.  We did not know what the H ---- was going on.  Just a normal Navy wake-up call.

We were put to work while at sea, some scraping paint, others painting.  I was lucky (again) as I was assigned to the store where they gave out or sold ice cream, candy, etc...  It was a very nice trip.  Since the ship was due for an Admiral's inspection when it reached port, we did not have a big ceremony, when it crossed the equator...  We landed at NAF Recife, Brazil and were bussed to the NAF Natal, Brazil.  We flew anti-submarine patrol at least once a week in the South Atlantic, between South America and Africa.  The squadron was called VP-83 until we received 24 PB4Y-1 Liberators.  Then we changed to VPB-107.  The PBY's only had four 30 cal. machine guns and the subs would stay on the surface firing at the PBY's.  As the sub had a 20 mm cannon on deck.  When we arrived at NAF Natal, Brazil we could see all the holes in the planes.  Needless to say the subs were surprised to find the PB4Y-1's had eight 50 cal machine guns.  Now they would submerge as soon as possible. 

We flew patrols out of NAF Natal, Brazil until the end of 1944, at which time the South Atlantic had been essentially cleared of German Submarines.  In his book "Galloping Ghosts of the Brazilian Coast" Author Allen Cary writes the entire history of the submarine war in the South Atlantic.  VP-83, VPB-107 was credited with sinking eight German Submarines.

Upottery, England

At this time the squadron was re-assigned to the U.S. Naval Air Base at Upottery, England.  Some flew the planes to England, some went back to NAS Norfolk, Virginia, and then to England.  Twenty-four of us were left to close the base.  We each carried our entire Navy records, we were only ordered to re-join the squadron in England as soon as possible.  While awaiting a commercial flight to Miami, each night we would go into Natal to the Americas Bar and tell them we are leaving.  They would buy all of us beer.  But the next day we did not have a Miami flight...  Back to the Americus Bar and free beer.  After three or four days of this they stopped the free beer.  Finally we got a plane to Miami...  Twenty four of us each with his individual Navy records.

We landed in Miami about 8 or 9 P.M.  There was a 10 P.M. curfew in Miami.  What to do?  Someone said we should turn ourselves in to the Navy shore patrol...  Someone else said lets find a motel, spend a few days in Miami, then turn ourselves over to the Navy S.P.  Guess what we did?  We had a great couple of days in Miami.  Then went to the Navy and showed them our orders.

They put all twenty four of us on a train to New York.  We had a whiskey bottle that we hid in the ice behind the water cooler...  One of the conductors found it and would not give it back to us.  I remember Luther Palmer had that conductor by the neck and seat of his pants ready to throw him off the moving train.  We finally arrived in New York City and were barracked on some pier, to await transport to England.  We spent about a week touring New York City.

We finally were put aboard the French Liner Ile De France, which had been taken over by the British, aboard were 10,000 solders, 2,000 colored WACs and us 24 sailors.  It was quite crowded on board and they only let us topside once a day for an hour or so.  The British only fed us twice a day, midmorning and late afternoon.  There was a place open in the afternoon that sold icecream candy, etc.  But the lines went half way around the ship. 

One of us sailors got a bright idea.  We borrowed leggings from the Army, wrapped a black sock around our arm and went to the head of the line, saying GUN CREW.  This worked for 3 or 4 days until they discovered there were no guns aboard ship.  The ship took a North Atlantic route to avoid the German Subs, so it took us about ten to twelve days to reach Scotland.  We landed in some city in Scotland, took a train down to England and finally arrived Upottery Navy Base.  I found later that this was the same Army base that the 102nd Parachute Army Division used in the June invasion.  We lived in Quonset huts with only a wood stove for heat.  We flew every fourth day for ten to eleven hours, from sunup to sunset.

Here is where I became good friends with Ray Teglia an other radioman who was from Chicago.  We flew many flights together and would go on Liberty together.  The nearest town was Taunton which was not great for Liberty.  So we would take a train up to Bristol.  Much to do in Bristol.  On one such trip we were in the train station waiting for our train back to Taunton when Ray tried to get too friendly with the girlfriend of the Army M.P. at the station.  Anyway this M.P. got us for drunk and disorderly, put us on report and made sure we got on the train.  Another Captain's Mast.

On our first flight Feb 25,1945 out of Upottery patrolling over Lyme Bay, we diverted to Weston Zoyland to an emergency landing field.  The fog was too bad back at Upottery.  After landing we had to walk about a mile to town for food.  The locals must have thought we were aliens from Mars walking down the road in our flying suits and boots.

We flew sub patrol about every fourth day with the rest of the day off after debriefing and also had the next day off.  On the days of our flight we had breakfast in the officers mess, eggs and such, and upon our return we had steak, also in the officers' mess.

We did get time off occasionally and on one occasion Ray Teglia and I went to London for a weekend.  We did all the London sights.  One day we were in a hotel with two friends when the air raid siren sounded.  Everyone had to go down to the basement shelter for protection...  German unmanned V-Bombs were hitting the city.  After two or three alerts had interrupted our meeting we said "To Hell with It", and stayed in the room.  The next morning we looked out the window and saw entire city blocks nearby completely flattened by the V-Bomb...

On May 9, 1945 we were scheduled to fly a patrol.  On May 8, word came down that the war in Europe was over, but we were all restricted to base that day.  However, that evening I went over the hedges and went to Taunton to help the British celebrate. 

The flight on May 9,1945 took us between Scilies and Brest where we encountered German Submarine No. 249.  See Appendix 1 for this story, which has been accepted to be included in the Library of Congress WWII stories.

After the war in Europe ended our squadron VPB 107 crews took turns going to Paris, France for a weekend.  Just before our crews turn we were assigned back to the U.S.A. for deployment to the Pacific. 

We sailed from England on the U.S.S.  Albamarle (remember her).  Being such a clever guy I quickly volunteered to work in the same place as on the voyage from Norfolk.  But I outsmarted myself, they did not put anyone to work. 

End of the War (and After)

After two weeks Liberty I reported to NAS Alameda, California, July 1945.  While we were there the war in the Pacific ended.  I went to San Francisco on Liberty and really partied, helping to turn the cable cars round and round. (As seen on news reels). 

After the war ended the Navy was losing many men, so they provided a two year re-enlistment program.  Since I entered the Navy on the East Coast (Philadelphia) they would to have to pay my way from California to Phila.  Since I was also still drawing 50% flight pay I shipped over to the U.  S.  Regular Navy for two more years. 

I bought a 1941 Hudson car and four of us from the East drove back to Phila.  Arno Laux from North Phila was one of the four.  On the way back to California, another guy was driving and I was in the passenger seat when he attempted to pass another car on a hill outside of Gallup, New Mexico and we smashed in the front of the car.  The car could still be driven and we went into Gallup.  There was no car dealer there to get parts for the car.

So we continued on to Flagstaff, Az where we spent a week getting the car repaired, borrowed $50 from the Red Cross.  We got a motel room and had a glorious week in Flagstaff.

We wired the Navy Base and told them we would be late.  The lady that ran the motel wanted to kick us out because we would bring females to the room but we prevailed and finally made it back to California.

NAAS Crows Landing, California

We were assigned to the NAAS Crows Landing, California, just outside of Modesto, Calif.  We were training in PB4Y-2, the single tail version of the B-24 Liberator.  My buddy Nick Molchan, was from Buzzards Bay, Mass so when he made collect phone calls from Crows Landing to Buzzards Bay the operator thought he was drunk.

The Skipper of our squadron outranked the Skipper of Crows Landing Station.  We had the barracks fixed so that each end third was for sleeping and the middle third was set up with sofas, chairs and tables to play cards.  The base shore patrol would put us on report but our Skipper would throw away the report and saying, "these men were flying every day and needed to relax."  Our Skippers name was Brewer and we would fly thru hell for him...  Modesto was where Bill Miller and I would hang out at the bowling lanes and challenge the locals bowling for money...  I must mention that Bill Miller was a great bowler.  He later was one of the original bowlers that started the Pro Bowlers Assoc. of America (PBA).  Needless to say we did pretty well.  I kept a complete set of civilian clothes in a locker at a bar, the Carlin Club in Modesto.  It was a great Liberty town.

NAS Whidbey Island, Washington

Next we were sent to NAS Whidbey Island, Washington.  I drove the Hudson up there, what a beautiful drive thru Northern Calif and Oregon.

NAS Whidbey Island, Washington was connected to the mainland over a deep pass by a huge canterlevered bridge.  One day while just flying around the pilot decided to fly under the bridge.  We all said he was crazy.  But under the bridge we flew.  What a strange sight to be looking up at a bridge.

We would spend six months at NAS Whidbey Island, Washington and three months in Alaska.  At NAS Kodiak, Alaska.  I put my Hudson in storage in Seattle, Washington.  In Alaska we would fly patrol along the Aleutians and North Pacific.  On one such flight we crossed the International Dateline.

NAS Adak, Alaska

On another flight we were supposed to land at NAS Adak, Alaska an Island about half way out the Aleutians.  When we arrived at Adak the fog was so bad we could not see the runway.  On one pass we just missed the mountain which was above the runway.  The pilot figured we had enough gas to get to Attu, the last island in the chain.  Still foggy.  Along the way I was on the Radar and we were navigating from island to island.  Running low on gas we proceeded to throw everything but the radio gear overboard.  Finally we made radio contact with an Army base on Shimya Island.  Army said, "Use runway so and so".  Our pilot replied, "I'm coming straight in." At one time when the pilot cross-fed the gas to all engines I had to go off the air with radio because there might be a spark...  People thought we went down.  When we landed at Shimya, rolling down the runway, all four engines died at once!!  Upon exiting the plane the first Army guy I saw, I asked him "Do you have anything to drink."  Alaska was a beautiful place, we went to Fairbanks and other towns. 

While in Alaska one day someone hollered at me, "C-Note you want to go to the NAS Squantum, Massachusetts." I figured I shipped over in Calif and if I got out on the East Coast they would have to pay my way back to Calif.  They needed four or five radiomen at NAS Squantum, Massachusetts, so I said, "Yes".  We got back to NAS Whidbey Island, Washington and I got my car out of storage.  Four of us headed east.  One of the guys had married while in Washington and his wife was from Minnesota and she came with us in the car and went to Minn, to her home.

Driving thru the northern tier of states was really rough, sometimes we would drive with our head out the window, due to ice on the windshield.  We stopped at some little town in Minn, where the guys wife was from.  While there we had a shiveree a tradition where the new bride is kidnapped and the groom has to redeem her with beer.  During the procedure shot guns are fired into the air.  They gave me an old shotgun and when I fired it I was not ready for the hard kickback and almost got knocked over.

We finally made it to Mass., the Navy Air Base was used mainly for reserve pilots who had to fly at least ten hours a month to keep up their status.  We made sure the radios were working in the planes.  The planes were Navy SNJ and the movies used them as Jap Zeroes. 

We could fly with the pilots or not.  I would go off with them now and then to keep my air crew status. 

The local police knew my Hudson well.  One day they came to our front gate trying to serve tickets on me for traffic violations...  But they could not set foot on Navy property, so I just laughed at them.  My car had only one headlight working and it would go places where no car should be.

Each month come payday, the base officers would try to not pay us enlisted men flight pay.  But since we had air crew in our records they could not stop from paying us flight pay.

This got to be such a hassle that on Nov 24,1947, when my two years were up I decided to get out of the Navy and went home to Lester, Pa.

They had to pay my way back to California though.

Appendix 1

Tape To Enlarge

The story of what happened on the Patrol Flight on May 9, 1945.

VPB-107 was flying submarine patrol out of England, patrolling the North Sea, English Channel, Atlantic Ocean, etc.  Every fourth day we would go on a 10-11 hr patrol.  I was a Second Class Radio-gunner in the squadron.

May 9, 1945 was our day to fly patrol.  One day earlier, May 8, the word came down of the surrender, but May 9 was the official day.  We were all restricted to base on May 8, but I went back over the hedges to a small English town. 

The people were so happy they insisted that I party with them... I staggered back to the base about 3 A.M., had an hour or so sleep, before we had breakfast, got briefed, checked our equipment and took off at dawn.  I told my second radio radioman, Ray Teglia, that I was going to the rear and to wake me if anything happened...

Some time later, Ray awoke me shouting Charlie, Charlie [my nickname] SUB, SUB.  I jumped up and looked out the side port and saw a sub. 

I grabbed a 50 cal. machine gun, put it in its holder and was priming it when Ray hollered don't shoot, they're surrendering...

Sure enough, they were flying a black flag. 

Wow, I almost had my 15 minutes of infamous glory and an international incident... I got on the radio and the first one I raised was a British destroyer. 

They came and towed the sub to a port... I still have the picture of the sub taken from our plane. 

It is certified by the pilot, Lt. JG W.F. Brewer, USN. 

I don't know if any museum, or such would like this photo. 

I would gladly donate this item if anyone is interested.

Appendix 11

I have mentioned Jim Mooney in this journal.  In 1968 or 1969, while working at RCA Research Labs, Princeton, N.J., and having suffered from back pain for years I made an appointment with a Neurosurgeon in New Brunswick, N.J.  Arriving at his office, I noticed his diplomas James Mooney from Pittsburgh, Pa.  Could it be?  He turned to me and said, "C-Note Charlie."  He was the same Jim Mooney.  I told him I was not going to let a drunken sailor operate on me!  But he did and he did a great job.  Made me stay off work for three months.  We visited him and his family that Christmas.  Had a big lovely home in Princeton, N.J.  Unfortunately he passed away a few years later from a heart attack.  Only a young man, what a shame...

Circa 1943 - 1945

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: Naval Historical Center, Department Of The Navy, Washington, D. C http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/dictvol2.htm [28APR2001]
Get Adobe Reader
Open VP History Adobe FileVPB-1 52KB

Circa 1943

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...Full Text Citations For Award of The Navy Cross - To U.S. Navy Personnel - World War II - (2,889 Awards) - Navy Cross Citations U.S. Navy - World War II..." WebSite: Home of Heros http://www.homeofheroes.com/ valor/ 1_Citations/ 03_wwii-nc/ nc_06wwii_navyC.html [20NOV2007]



The Navy Cross is presented to Jack D. Cruze, Lieutenant, U.S. Navy, for extraordinary heroism and distinguished service as Pilot of a Catalina Patrol Plane in Patrol Squadron ELEVEN (VP-11), operating over the Solomon Sea and the vicinity of the Bismarck Archipelago from 1 to 16 November 1943. Flying under hazardous weather conditions and in the face of heavy antiaircraft opposition, Lieutenant Cruze skillfully located the enemy and, maneuvering his plane for maximum tactical advantage, delivered an accurate hit on a hostile cargo ship, destroyed a wharf and inflicted severe damage on many barges. On the night of 16 November, when he sighted a large force of enemy vessels, he promptly and fearlessly maneuvered his plane for a low-altitude bombing attack and, approaching his target through a barrage of withering antiaircraft fire, scored two direct and punishing hits, destroying or seriously damaging a valuable transport. Lieutenant Cruze's splendid airmanship, valorous initiative and unswerving devotion to duty at great personal risk were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin No. 337 (April 1945)

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...Location of U. S. Naval Aircraft - Dated 31 May 1943..." WebSite: Naval Historical Center http://www.history.navy.mil/ [02OCT2006]




VD-1, VD-2 and VD-3

VJ-1, VJ-2, VJ-3, VJ-4, VJ-5, VJ-7 and VJ-10


VP-11, VP-12, VP-13, VP-14 and VP-15


VP-32, VP-33 and VP-34

VP-43, VP-44 and VP-45

VP-52, VP-53 and VP-54

VP-61, VP-62 and VP-63

VP-71, VP-72, VP-73 and VP-74

VP-81 and VP-84

VP-91, VP-92 and VP-94

VP-101, VP-102, VP-103, VP-104, VP-105, VP-106, VP-107, VP-108 and VP-109

VP-125, VP-126, VP-127 and VP-128

VP-130, VP-131, VP-132, VP-133, VP-134, VP-135, VP-136, VP-137, VP-138 and VP-139

VP-140, VP-142, VP-144 and VP-146

VP-201, VP-202, VP-203, VP-204, VP-205, VP-206, VP-207, VP-208 and VP-209

VP-210, VP-211 and VP-212

History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...Location of U. S. Naval Aircraft - Dated 09 Nov 1943..." WebSite: Naval Historical Center http://www.history.navy.mil/ [01OCT2006]



VD-1, VD-2, VD-3 and VD-4

VJ-1, VJ-2, VJ-3, VJ-4, VJ-5, VJ-15, and VJ-16

VP-6 Coast Guard


VP-11, VP-12, VP-13, VP-14, VP-15 and VP-16

VP-23 and VP-24

VP-32, VP-33 and VP-34

VP-43, VP-44 and VP-45

VP-52, VP-53 and VP-54

VP-61, VP-62 and VP-63

VP-71, VP-72, VP-73 and VP-74

VP-81 and VP-84

VP-91, VP-92 and VP-94

VP-101, VP-102, VP-103, VP-104, VP-105, VP-106, VP-107, VP-108 and VP-109

VP-110, VP-111, VP-112, VP-113, VP-114, VP-115 and VP-116

VP-125, VP-126, VP-127, VP-128 and VP-129

VP-130, VP-131, VP-132, VP-133, VP-134, VP-135, VP-136, VP-137, VP-138 and VP-139

VP-140, VP-141, VP-142, VP-143, VP-144, VP-145, VP-146, VP-147, VP-148 and VP-149


VP-201, VP-202, VP-203, VP-204, VP-205, VP-206, VP-207, VP-208 and VP-209

VP-210, VP-211, VP-212, VP-213, VP-214, VP-215 and VP-216

History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: VP-1 History Orion ThumbnailCameraVP-1 History WebSite: Navy NewsStand http://www.news.navy.mil/ [22FEB2003]

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...PATROL SQUADRON ONE COMMAND HISTORY..." http://www.naswi.navy.mil/vp-1/comhist.html [04JUL98]


Patrol Squadron ONE has over half a century of proud service as a premier patrol and surveillance squadron. Born in the fire and fury of World War II, the squadron was originally commissioned as Bombing Squadron 128 (VB-128) in Deland, Florida on February 15th, 1943, and represented a key component in the U.S. efforts to turn the tide in the Battle of the Atlantic, in which German U-boats challenged the passage of convoys carrying desperately-needed supplies to U.S. and Allied forces fighting in Europe and Africa. Flying the twin-engine PV-1 "VEGA VENTURA", the squadron flew missions out of NAS Floyd Bennett Field, New York, and beginning in August 1943, out of Iceland to protect heavily-laden cargo ships braving the gauntlet of hostile submarines. During this period VB-128 drew its first combat blood, sinking one U-boat and severely damaging another. When the convoy lanes moved south to avoid the fierce North Atlantic winter storms, the squadron shifted its base of operations to Puerto Rico and continued to be an important factor in curtailing the German submarines' activities.

In the summer of 1944, successes in allied anti-submarine operations had significantly reduced the threat posed by the deadly U-boats. Redesignated as VPB-128, the squadron was transferred to the Philippines to provide bombing, anti-shipping, and anti-submarine support in the Pacific theatre until "VJ" Day, September 1, 1945. After the Japanese surrender aboard the USS MISSOURI in Tokyo Bay, the squadron continued flying patrol missions from the island of Okinawa for the next two years.

By 1947 the squadron had transitioned to the then-new P2V-2 "NEPTUNE" aircraft. Along with the new aircraft came another squadron redesignation. Newly christened as VP-ML-1, the squadron changed home ports again, this time to San Diego, California. The next year opened with yet another move, to NAS Whidbey Island, Washington, and in September of 1948 the present designation of VP-1 and the name "Screaming Eagles" was assigned to the squadron.

The years between 1948 and 1966 were filled with frequent deployments to Alaska, Japan, Vietnam, and the Philippines. In 1955 the squadron upgraded its aircraft to the P2V-5, and in May of that year became the first patrol squadron to make an "around the world" cruise.

UPDATE "...My flight log shows that we started flying P2V5's in Nov 1951 and deployed to NAS Atsugi, Japan in March 1952. The squadron may have upgraded to 5F' in 1955 - just to keep the record straight..." Contributed by ADRC Eugene Hilvers, Retired navycpo1@siscom.net [15SEP99]

The Screaming Eagles were busy during the years of the Vietnam War. During deployments to overseas bases such as Iwakuni, Japan and Sangley Point, Republic of the Philippines, VP-1 supported U.S. operations--including Operation MARKET TIME--with detachments in the Republic of Vietnam at Tan Son Nhut and Cam Ranh Bay. In April 1966, VP-1 became the first patrol squadron to incur casualties, including one fatality, during a Vietnamese attack on Tan Son Nhut Air Base.

VP-1 transitioned to the P-3 "ORION" in 1969. Widely recognized as the world's premier patrol aircraft, the P-3 provided greater range, improved avionics, and enhanced anti-submarine warfare capability for the maritime patrol community. As the Screaming Eagles made another homeport change to NAS Barbers Point, Hawaii in February 1970, they continued to serve as a front-line "Cold War" deterrent force against the strategic missile threat posed by the submarine fleet of the USSR, and until the dissolution of the Soviet Union logged thousands of hours tracking Soviet submarines throughout the world's seas. The Screaming Eagles gained specific acclaim in September 1977, when they received the Coastal Command Trophy for sustaining a high degree of effectiveness in airborne anti-submarine warfare.

VP-1 deployed to Cubi Point, Philippines in May 1980, and simultaneously held a three aircraft detachment in Diego Garcia, British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT)--a period marked by regional tensions due to the Iranian hostage crisis. Squadron operations during this period earned Navy Expeditionary Medals for squadron members who were directly involved in Iranian/Afghanistan contingency operations, and Humanitarian Service Medals for crews which employed the P-3's superb Search and Rescue (SAR) abilities to locate, and assist in rescuing more than 4,000 Vietnamese refugees fleeing their homeland aboard 35 rickety vessels.

The 1980's found the Screaming Eagles flying missions from such wide-spread places as Oman, Djibouti, Kenya, Somalia, Thailand, Pakistan, Japan, Guam, Diego Garcia, and Australia. VP-1 flight crews demonstrated their expertise in the areas of anti-submarine warfare, surface surveillance, mining, and search and rescue operations. February 1983 marked an important milestone for VP-1 as 14 years and 100,000 hours of accident-free flight operations was surpassed, and that year also brought the squadron the Donald Neal "Golden Wrench" Award for the best P-3 maintenance in the Pacific Fleet. Just one year later, in February 1984, the Screaming Eagles won the prestigious Captain Arnold Jay Isbell Trophy for ASW Excellence, and were nominated by Commander, Patrol Wings U.S. Pacific Fleet to receive the Arleigh Burke Fleet Trophy for battle efficiency.

The fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, and the concomitant fracturing of the Warsaw Treaty Organization, invited navies throughout the world to take a fresh look at naval tactics in the twilight of the Cold War. The likelihood of large naval forces grappling over control of the open sea gave way to the reality of regional disputes. The proliferation of effective cruise missiles launched from maneuverable small boats mandated an increased importance on aerial surveillance which had the stamina, flexibility, and weapons to extend a protective umbrella over surface ships operating close to a hostile nation's shores. The Screaming Eagles of VP-1 became experts at supporting this type of operation through long hours spent patrolling littoral and enclosed seas with both standard, and specially-equipped, P-3s.

Operations other than war (OOTW) also provided new challenges for the squadron's crews. Maritime interdiction, United Nations Security Council resolutions enforcement, and counter-narcotics operations all found great value in an airborne surveillance platform which was able to linger in an area for hours, or could search many thousands of square miles of ocean, while maintaining constant communications with home bases through satellite communications, HF radios, and computer data exchange systems.

When Sadam Hussein's Republican Guard crossed the Kuwaiti border in 1989, the Navy again turned to VP-1, and the squadron fully re-deployed to Diego Garcia to support joint maritime interdiction forces in conjunction with Operation DESERT SHIELD. VP-1 also maintained detachments in Masirah, Omanand Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, and was the first patrol squadron to make such a short-notice surge into the desert theater; the extraordinary operational and logistical effort by all hands enabled the squadron to answer the challenge of over 200 surface surveillance missions scheduled with an astounding 100 percent completion rate.

As a result of the squadron's performance throughout 1993, the prestigious Coastal Command Trophy again found its way to the squadron's trophy chest, along with the Commander, U.S. SEVENTH Fleet Anti-surface Warfare Excellence Award, and a nomination for a second Arleigh Burke Award.

After completing a successful deployment to NAS Misawa, Japan and NAF Kadena, Okinawa, Japan in May of 1995, VP-1 completed another homeport change, returning to NAS Whidbey Island, Washington. The squadron truly showed its professionalism and dedication to duty by meeting all scheduled events and missions during the move, and by compressing what would normally be a year-long inter-deployment training cycle into a mere nine months.

From May to November 1996, VP-1 once again conducted a successful tri-site deployment based in Diego Garcia, during which the Screaming Eagles became the first maritime patrol squadron to conduct armed surveillance missions in the Arabian Gulf with the AGM-65 MAVERICK missile. The squadron also maintained a constant presence in NAF Kadena, Okinawa, Japan with frequent detachments to U-Tapao, Thailand and many other countries bordering the Arabian Gulf and Indian Ocean while patrolling the politically-charged Arabian Gulf.

Currently, Patrol Squadron ONE is back at NAS Whidbey Island preparing for its November deployment to NAS Misawa, Japan and NAF Kadena, Okinawa, Japan. Daily training continues with routine flights off the coasts of Washington and California, practicing the skills necessary to continue to be a pre-eminent anti-submarine warfare, mining, and surface surveillance squadron, proving why VP-1 is, "Number ONE for a reason!" http://www.naswi.navy.mil/vp-1/comhist.html

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...USS Salisbury Sound (AV-13)...Squadrons Supported: VP-1, VP-2, VP-4, VPB-21, VP-22, VPB-26, VP-40, VP-42, VP-46, VP-47, VP-48, VP-50, FAW-1 ..." Contributed by Patrick Clancey Pat.Clancey@central.sun.com, WebMaster The HyperWar Project [30NOV2000]

USS Salisbury Sound (AV-13)

USS Salisbury Sound (AV-13), a Seaplane Tender, is named for Salisbury Sound, Alaska, a strategically located basin near Sitkawitch, which forms a natural harbor especially suited for seaplane base operations.

Salisbury Sound was built by the Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Drydock Company of San Pedro, California, which became Todds, San Pedro shipyard before her completion. Her keel was laid 10 April 1943 and she was launched 18 June 1944, under the sponsorship of Mrs. John D. Price, wife of Rear Admiral Price, Commander of Fleet Air Wing Two, Air Forces US Pacific Fleet. The Seaplane Tender was placed in commission on 26 November 1945, Captain Doyle G. Donaho, USN, in command.

Salisbury Sound is capable of supporting two (2) fifteen plane squadrons of the Mariner type, both in material upkeep and repair and personnel subsistence. Her facilities include engine repair, hydraulic repair, carburetor repair, metal, parachute, and photographic shop. In addition to her own officers and crew she is able to billet over 120 squadron officers and 200 crew members. Her most striking feature is her large after-deck where two huge seaplanes can be hoisted aboard and serviced at the same time. Two enormous cranes, one on her after-deck and one on her superstructure, can lift the planes with ease. Her hospital ward is fitted with 18 beds and a great number can be made available in event of emergency. high speed boats can be lowered over her sides by cranes and dispatched to refuel planes or boats at sea, and if necessary, tow them to safety. Supplies, trained mechanics, and medical rescue teams stand by ready to the blown over vast ocean reaches and parachuted to me immediate relief of planes or vessels in distress.

Salisbury Sound got underway from San Pedro on 27 December 1945 for training out of San Diego. She cleared port on 12 February 1946 and arrived at Pearl Harbor on the 20th. After final exercises in the Hawaiian area, she sailed on 1 March to load 6 fighter planes and a torpedo bomber at Guam (13-15 March), then reported for duty to Commander Air Wing One at Buckner Bay, Okinawa, 19 March 1946. After conducting familiarization flights and gunnery tracking drills for planes of Patrol Squadron Twenty-One, she got underway on 8 June for tender service of Patrol Bombing Squadron Twenty-Six at Shanghai (11 June-5 July); Tsingtao (6-17 July), returning to Buckner Bay on 10 July to resume duties at that base. She again sailed on 13 September to tend planes of Patrol Bombing Squadron Twenty-Six at Tsingtao, returning to 6 October 1946. Having repaired some 26 planes and directed several air-sea search and rescue missions which saved the life of a number of men, she put to sea on 4 November 1946 for return to the United States. Steaming by the way of the Philippines ports of Puerto Princessa, Manila and Guiuan, she arrived at San Diego on 23 December 1946. After upkeep and local training exercises, she cleared San Diego on 29 March 1947 again bound for Buckner Bay, Okinawa. She arrived at the latter base on 18 April 1947 to commence a second tour of duty as a mobile repair and seadrome control unit for the maintenance of patrol planes at that port, Tsingtao, China and Apra Harbor, Guam. She departed Buckner Bay on 27 July for another stay of service at Tsingtao until 30 August, then loaded planes and aviation cargo at Manila for delivery to Apra Harbor on 9 September 1947. She then set course for return to San Diego, 22 September 1947.

Salisbury Sound underwent overhaul in the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard 26 September 1947 to 16 February 1948, then shifted to her base at San Diego for refresher exercises in the area off San Clemente Island. She cleared San Diego on 12 March 1948 and steamed by the way of Pearl Harbor to deliver aviation cargo at Apra Harbor, Guam, and Manila, Philippine Islands, before arrival at Buckner Bay, Okinawa, 7 April 1948. After off-load of aviation cargo, she got underway the following day for similar deliveries at Tsingtao and Yokosuka. She returned to Buckner Bay on 30 April and got underway for tender services at Yokosuka (18 May-2 July); Tsingtao (5-21 July); and Shanghai (23-26 July). She resumed duty at Buckner Bay on 20 July 1948 and returned to Tsingtao on 14 August to tend patrol planes of Fleet Air Wing One. On 5 September 1948, at Tsingtao, she acted as conference ships for Rear Admiral R.P. McDonnell (Commander Fleet Air Wing One); Captain J.B. Taylor (Commander Destroyer Division (One); Vice Admiral Oscar C. Badger (Commander Naval Forces, Western Pacific); and Dr. Stuart (American Ambassador to China). Having embarked passengers, she got underway from Tsingtao on 22 September to load aviation cargo at Apra Harbor, Guam, then picked up an amphibious plane and passengers at Ponape in the Caroline Islands on 1 October 1948. She put to sea on the latter date and embarked more passengers at Pearl Harbor before arrival at San Diego on 15 October 1948. Upkeep at San Pedro (18 October 1948-10 January 1949), was followed by training in local areas out of San Diego.

Salisbury Sound cleared San Diego on 15 January and arrived at Port Hueneme, California, the following day to embark men of the Naval Schools Construction Battalion Center and their snow-removal equipment before her arrival at Seattle, 19 January 1949. She became the Flagship of Commander Fleet Air Wing Four, 27 January, and got underway for Takutat, Alaska. She arrived at the latter port on 30 January, debarking her student passengers and their equipment for special exercises ashore until 6 February, when the last of her student passengers and their equipment were again aboard. She put to sea the following day for Kokiak, where Commander Air Wing Four hauled down his flag on 15 February 1949. After touching at Seward, Alaska (17-21 February); and Seattle (25-26 February), she debarked her student passengers at Port Hueneme on 3 Mar, returned to her base at San Diego the following day. She became the Flagship of Vice Admiral G.F. Bogan (Commander First Task Fleet) on 25 March 1949. Training in local waters off San Diego and off San Clemente Island were conducted until 17 June, when Vice Admiral Bogan departed the ship. She entered the Hunters Point Shipyard for upkeep and repairs on 29 June and returned to San Diego on 10 September 1949 for a busy schedule of refresher training off Coronado Roads and San Clemente Island.

Salisbury Sound departed San Diego on 24 November 1949 and reached Pearl Harbor six days later. She got underway on 4 November and anchored two miles off Kussie Island, East Carolines, 13 Nov. She embarked a Congressional party of 10 persons and Rear Admiral L.S. Fiske, Deputy Commissioner of Trust Territories, along with his staff for an inspection tour of Kussie and Mokil Islands. She debarked the party at Ponape Island on 17 November 1949 and steamed by way of Guam and Manila to arrive at Hong Kong on 1 December 1949. She tended planes of Patrol Squadron Forty-Two at that port until 6 February 1940, then shifted to Subic Bay in the Philippine Islands. She resumed duty at Hong Kong on 12 April and cleared port on 11 May for exercises off Sangley Point, Luzon before loading aircraft at Guam (27-29 May 1950). She put to sea on the latter day and steamed by way of Pearl Harbor for return to San Diego on 13 June 1950. After voyage repair in the San Francisco Naval Shipyard, she embarked passengers, including men of Patrol Squadron Forty-Two, and sailed from San Diego on 26 July bound for the Far East. She debarked her passengers at Pearl Harbor on 1 August and to sea the next day, carrying some 700 passengers destined for the Patrol Squadron One, Patrol Squadron Two, and Patrol Squadron Four of Fleet Air Service Squadron and Army units in Japan. Four helicopters and an equal number of SNBS of the Fleet Air Service Squadron were loaded on her seaplane deck. She reached Yokosuka on 11 August 1950, debarking her passengers and their equipment, and took on new aviation cargo and passengers for transport to Apra Harbor, Guam. She arrived at the latter port on 20 August, debarked her passengers, then loaded patrol bomber spare parts and eight jet fighters for delivery to Naha Harbor, Okinawa, 25 August 1950. She reported to Commander Seventh Fleet for duty that day and shifted to Buckner Bay for operations under Commander Service Squadron Three (Commander Task Group 70.7). On 3 September she serviced seven Mariners of Patrol Squadron Forty-Six and two Sunderlands of the 88th Royal Air Force Squadron, which had sortied on typhoon evacuation from their base at Iwakuni, Japan.

On 6 September 1950, Salisbury Sound arrived at Iwakuni, Japan, and reported for duty to Commander Fleet Air Wing Six. She commenced service to Patrol Squadron Forty-Two and Forty-Seven, which had eleven Mariners present on that day plus three Sunderlands of the 88th Squadron of the Royal Air Force. These units comprised the seaplane and reconnaissance of Task Force Ninety-Six supporting the operations of Task Force Seventy-Seven and Task Group 96.5. Four additional Mariners had arrived on 9 September 1950 when Salisbury Sound became Flagship of Commander Fleet Wing Six. She now became the operating base for all seaplanes in the Patrol and Reconnaissance Force (*Task Force 99) tending eight Sunderlands of the 88th Squadron of the Royal Air Force, seven planes of Patrol Squadron Forty-Seven and nine planes of Patrol Squadron Forty-Two. On 16 September Commander Fleet Air Wing Six shifted his Flag, along with pilots and crew of Patrol Squadron Forty-Seven, to sea plane tender Curtis (AV-4), controlling all flights from that ship. Salisbury Sound continued seadrome control until 18 September, then took on aviation fuel at Kure, returning to Iwakuni on 21 September 1960. She reported for duty to Commander Air Wing One (task Group 70.6) on 23 September and shifted to base at Buckner Bay, Okinawa, on the 26th. She laid 18 buoys in the seaplane anchorage and on 2 October five Mariners of Patrol Squadron Forty-Six (Southern Search and Reconnaissance Force), arrived from the Pescadores Islands to escape the fury of a typhoon. These planes conducted nightly reconnaissance and patrol flights of the Formosa Straits from the Salisbury Sound until 10 October, when they again terminated their flights in the Pescadores. Meantime she had hoisted the flag of Commander Fleet Air Wing One on 5 October 1950. Winds and heavy seas again threatened the seadrome in the Pescadores on 19 October, and Mariners of Patrol Squadron Forty-Six there once again shifted gradually to base from Salisbury Sound. On 2 November 1950 she entered the harbor of Naha, transferring 30,000 gallons of gasoline to Y-53 for delivery to the Naval Base before return to Buckner Bay the same day. She continued direction and tending of the Mariners' search and reconnaissance flights until 27 November 1950 when Commander Fleet Wing One shifted his flag to Gardiners Bay (AVP-39).

Salisbury Sound arrived at Iwakuni, Japan 20 November 1950, and hoisted the flag of Commander Air Wing Six. She relived Curtis (AV-4) of seadrome control and began tending nine Mariners of Patrol Squadron Forty-Two and four Royal Air Force Sunderlands, operating from Iwakuni. On 1 December, seven Mariners of Patrol Squadron Forty-Seven arrived, and on the 21st, Commander Fleet Air Wing Six transferred his flag to Curtis. On 15 December 1950, Salisbury Sound returned to Buckner Bay and relieved Gardiners Bay (AVP-39) as flag ship of Commander Fleet Air Wing One. She now commenced service for the detachment of five Marines of Patrol Squadron Forty-Six, stationed at Buckner Bay, and three Mariners of the same squadron, stationed at Sangley point, Luzon, Philippine Islands. These units conducted search and reconnaissance flights out of Buckner Bay and completed courier flights between Sangley Point and Hong Kong. Commencing 6 January 1951, she supported Anti-Submarine Warfare Training Element 7016 comprising a Land Plane Air Search and Attack Unit (9 P2V4s of Patrol Squadron Twenty-Two); a Seaplane Air Search and Attack Unit (9 Mariners of Patrol Squadron Forty-Six); and Fleet Submarine Besugo (SS-321). This duty terminated on 16 January 1951 and Salisbury Sound resumed her daily direction of reconnaissance flight and tender services.

Commander Fleet Air Wing One departed Salisbury Sound on 30 day emergency leave on 2 March 1951, and her Commanding Officer assumed the flag duties until the 9th when she arrived at Sangley Point, Luzon, Philippine Islands. She got underway on 11 March for return to the west coast of United States, touching at Guam and Pearl Harbor before her arrival at San Diego, 31 March 1951. She conducted training exercises out of that port with visits to Monterey and San Francisco. On 24 May 1951 she broke the flag of Vice Admiral A.D. Struble, Commander First Fleet, who departed the ship on 3 June. Five days later she embarked men of Patrol Squadron Forty-Seven, then sailed for Whidbey Island, Washington, where operational readiness was completed on the 18th for the Mariners who took off for return to the Naval Air Station at Alameda. Salisbury Sound returned to San Diego where on 26 June she embarked the Chief of Staff of Fleet Air Wing Fourteen and stood out to sea for operational readiness inspection, terminated 28 June 1951. She completed a similar inspection on 23 July and cleared San Diego on 1 August 1951 for another tour of duty in the Far East. Steaming by way of Pearl Harbor, she arrived at Boko Ko, Pescadores Islands, 22 August 1951. That same day she relieved Pine Island as Flagship of Commander Fleet Air Wing One and became the base for Mariner planes of Patrol Squadron Forty-Seven. She departed Boko Ko 10 October 1051 and sailed by way of Hong Kong to base at Buckner Bay, Okinawa (18 October 1951-21 February 1952). On the latter date she was relieved as Flagship of Commander Air Wing One by Pine Island (AV-12).

Salisbury Sound served as flagship of Commander Fleet Air Wing Six at Iwakuni, Japan (24 February-31 March 1952), and hauled down his flag at Yokosuka on 2 April. She put to sea the same day for return to San Diego, 16 April 1952. She entered the Hunter's Point Shipyard on 29 April for overhaul until 16 July 1952, followed by refresher training out of San Diego. She sailed from Long Beach on 15 August 1952 and reached Yokosuka, Japan, on 2 September. Clearing that port on the 5th, she arrived at Buckner Bay on 7 September 1952. The next day she broke the flag of Rear Admiral T.B. Williamson, Commander Task Force Seventy-Two. The Mariner planes of Patrol Squadron Forty came to base aboard, temporarily, on 10 September for repairs and service, and Salisbury Sound arrived at Keelung, Formosa, 8 October 1952. While in that port on 11 October, Rear Admiral Williamson held conference on board with the Honorable Karl Ranking, United States Minister to China; and Major General Chase, Chief of the Military Assistance Advisory Group. After visits to Takao, Formosa (220-22 October) and Hong Kong (23-28 October), she commenced tending Mariners of Patrol Squadron Forty at Buckner Bay. She got underway from the latter port on 30 November to base at Subic Bay in the Philippine Islands (3-20 December), then touched at Kaohsiung, Formosa (22 December) before resuming operations at Buckner Bay on the 24th. On 28 February 1953 the Mariner planes of Patrol Squadron Forty were relieved by planes of Patrol Squadron Forty-Six. Commander Task Force Seventy-Two transferred his flag to Pine Island on 7 March and detachments of Patrol Squadron Forty-Two also left the Salisbury Sound for that Seaplane Tender. That same day Task Force Seventy-Two was established as the Formosa Patrol Force under Rear Admiral Williamson in Pine Island.

Relieved of her duties in the Far East, she sailed by way of Guam and Pearl Harbor to reach Alameda, California, 25 March 1953. She underwent overhaul in the Hunter's Point Shipyard (31 March-27 April 1953). She put into the harbor of Long Beach on 28 April, embarking Commander Mine Squadron Five, and got underway on the 30th with other ships of Task Unit 11.7 for landing assault exercises of Ayliso Beach, California. This duty terminated on 7 May and the ships underwent alternations in the Hunter's Point Shipyard (11 May-30 June), followed by gunnery exercises in local areas from the naval Air Station at Alameda. She cleared the latter port on 21 July and arrived at Boko Ko, Pescadores Islands, 12 August 1953. On that day she became the flagship of Rear Admiral Truman J. Hedding, Commander Formosa Patrol Force (Task Force Seventy-Two) and Commander Fleet Air Wing One. Tending the planes of Patrol Squadron Forty-Eight, she departed Boko Ko on 26 August to base at Buckner Bay until 12 September 1953. Thereafter, she based her operations at Boko Ko (14-19 September); Keelung, Formosa (20-25 September); Kaohsiung, Formosa (29-30 September); Keelung, Formosa (8-14 October); Buckner Bay (15-29 October); Hong Kong (1-7 November); Buckner Bay (11-28 November); Kaohsiung, Formosa (30 November); and Manila (1 December-6 January 1954). She arrived at Sangley Point on 13 January and Commander Task Force Seventy-Two (Formosa Patrol Force) shifted his flag to Pine Island on 18 February 1954. Salisbury Sound put to sea that day and steamed by way of Buckner Bay and Pearl Harbor to arrive at San Francisco, 11 March 1954. She shifted to the Naval Air Station, Alameda, the next day and entered the Mare Island Navy Yard on 8 April for overhaul until 28 June 1954.

Salisbury Sound conducted refresher training out of San Diego and cleared Alameda on 3 August 1954 for another tour of duty in the Far East. She arrived at Yokosuka on 23 August and became the flagship of Rear Admiral F.N. Kivette, Commander of the Formosa Patrol Force (Task Force Seventy-Two) at Boko Ko, Pescadores Islands, 31 August 1954. In the following months she made repeated calls at Formosa port of Kaohsiung and Keelung; Yokosuka, Japan; and spent much of her time in operations while based at Buckner Bay, Okinawa. She was relieved as flagship of the Formosa Patrol Force at the latter port on 28 February 1955 and put to sea for return to Alameda on 19 March 1955.

Salisbury Sound engaged in a rigorous schedule of training maneuvers off the California coast until 23 September 1955 when she cleared Alameda to arrive at Yokosuka, Japan, 13 October 1955. That same day she hoisted the flag of Rear Admiral G.W. Anderson, Jr., Commander of the Formosa Patrol Force and Fleet Air Wing One. She commenced duty at Buckner Bay, Okinawa on 20 October 1955, making frequent cruises to Manila Bay; Kaohsiung and Keelung, Formosa. The Formosa Patrol Force was redesignated Taiwan Patrol Force, effective 1 November 1955 and Salisbury Sound arrived at Manila on 9 February 1956 to participate in "Operation Firmlink" with Joint Task Force Nineteen. This operation was a joint maneuver of the SEATO (South East Asia Treaty Organization) forces to demonstrate their readiness to preserve the peace and ward off any aggressive action which might be taken against any of the member nations (Australia, France, New Zealand, Philippines, Thailand, United Kingdom, and United States). Units participating in this operation was USS Salisbury Sound, USS Princeton (CVS-37), USS McDermott (DD-667), HMS Newfoundland, HNS Comus, HMS Tobruk, and HMNZA Consort.

Salisbury Sound embarked 9 official observers, 40 officers and 526 troops of the First Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment, Third Division of the Philippine Armed Services and cleared Manila with the Joint Task Force which conducted tactical maneuvers and battle exercises enroute to Bangkok, Thailand. She arrived at Bangkok on 15 February 1956 and her passengers-troops went ashore to take part in a demonstration of readiness which included parachute demonstrations, helicopter landings, and equipment displays. The demonstration was completed by 18 February and Salisbury Sound debarked the Philippine Army Forces at Manila on the 23rd. She resumed operations at Buckner Bay on 6 March 1956 and was relieved as flagship of the Taiwan Patrol Force at Yokosuka, 23 March 1956. She cleared port the next day and returned to Alameda on 12 April 1956.

Salisbury Sound remained at Alameda until 12 June 1956 when she steamed for visits to Astoria and Portland, Oregon. She entered the Mare Island Naval Shipyard on 14 June for overhaul until 29 August 1956. After refresher training she departed Alameda on 13 November 1956 for Yokosuka where she arrived 2 December 1956. The next day she became the flagship of Rear Admiral R.E. Dixon, Commander Taiwan Patrol Force. Mariners of Patrol Squadron Forty commenced operating from her seadrome at Buckner Bay on 12 December 1956 and rescued the crew of a United States Air Force seaplane from the sea on 5 January 1957. Intervening these operations were cruises for visits at Hong Kong; Manila, Kaohsiung and Keelung, Taiwan; and Apra Harbor, Guam. Mariners of Patrol Squadron Forty-Six commenced operations from her seadrome on 26 March 1957 and she conducted exercises in the area east of Tsugen Jima Island before clearing port of 17 April. She touched at Keelung (18-20 April), then visited Iwakuni, Japan before her arrival at Yokosuka on the 28th. Commander of the Taiwan Patrol Force hauled down his flag at Yokosuka on 6 May 1957 and Salisbury Sound sailed for return to Alameda on 23 May 1957. During the remainder of the year she participated in combined fleet maneuvers off the California coast, and engaged in refresher training exercises while operating from Alameda and San Diego.

Salisbury Sound sailed from Alameda on 8 January 1958 and reached the British Crown Colony of Hong Kong on 4 February to become flagship of Rear Admiral F.E. Stoop, Commander Taiwan Patrol Force. Rear Admiral Stoop was relieved of his command 10 February by Rear Admiral P. Blackburn, Jr., who retained his flag in Salisbury Sound. She commenced operations in the Philippines area on 26 February, alternating between Dingalan, Subic and Manila Bays, then shifted to Buckner Bay, Okinawa on 18 March with occasional cruises for visits to Kaohsiung, Taiwan; Boko Ko, Pescadores Islands, and Hong Kong. She cleared Buckner Bay on 5 June 1958 and was relieved as flagship of the Taiwan Patrol Force at Sasebo on 13 June by USS Pine Island. She put to sea the following day and returned to Alameda on 3 July 1958. Upkeep in the Bethlehem Steel Shipyard of San Francisco (8 August-2 September) was followed by final overhaul period in the Todd Shipyard at Alameda (2 September-4 November 1958). After refresher training, she cleared Alameda on 27 December 1958 and arrived at Yokosuka on 13 January 1959.

Salisbury Sound arrived at Buckner Bay on 25 January and the following day relieved Orca as flagship of Rear Admiral P.P. Blackburn, Jr., Commander Taiwan Patrol Force. Seadrome operations at that base were again intervened by visits to ports of the Philippines, Taiwan, and Japan. In addition to these ports, she visited Saigon, Viet Nam (1-4 June) and Jesselton Harbor, North Borneo (8-11 June). She departed Buckner Bay on 23 June and was relieved as flagship of the Taiwan Patrol Force at Yokosuka, 30 June 1959 by Pine Island. She sailed from Yokosuka on 2 July and reached Alameda, California on 14 July 1959.

Following a leave and upkeep period in Alameda, Salisbury Sound conducted periods of ISE at sea off San Francisco. During the period from 14 November to 29 November, she was in San Diego for special weapons exercises. In early December, seadrome operations were conducted in Drakes Bay just northwest of San Francisco.

Salisbury Sound got underway from Alameda on 11 January 1960 for her 15th deployment to the Western Pacific. arriving at Pearl Harbor on 18 January for a two-day stop over and then proceeding to Yokosuka, Japan. Following post-voyage repairs, she got underway for Kobe, where on 9 February 1960 the flag of Rear Admiral J.W. Cannon (Commander Taiwan Patrol Force) was shifted from the USS Frontier (AD-25). She then proceeded to Buckner Bay, Okinawa, where seadrome operations were conducted until 9 March. She arrived in Hong Kong on 12 March for a 5-day visit prior to departing for Kaohsiung, Taiwan where along with other Seventh Fleet units she participated in operation "Blue Star." After returning to Buckner Bay on 29 March, the Salisbury Sound was needed to assist a downed P5M Marlin at Fukuoka, Japan on 14 April. Almost a year to the day since an accidental emergency at Fukuoka necessitated transporting a disabled aircraft to Iwakuni, history repeated itself. The stricken aircraft was hoisted aboard and taken to Iwakuni via the Shimoniseki Straits. The ship returned to Buckner Bay on 23 April. Seaplane operations were conducted at Okinawa until 20 May when Salisbury Sound departed for refueling at Subic Bay then on to Sangley Point, R.P., arriving there on 23 May. She departed Sangley for Hong Kong on 26 May. After a brief visit to the British Crown Colony (28 May-2 June) she departed for Buckner Bay and seaplane operations. On 22 June she left Buckner for Yokosuka, arriving there on 25 June and after voyage repairs she headed for Alameda, California on 2 July 1960.

The ship remained in EastPac during the remainder of 1960 and early part of 1961. Operations consisted primarily of independent ships exercises and type training. She underwent extensive overhaul at U.S. Naval Shipyard San Francisco, California from the last of September until December of this year.

Salisbury Sound operated as a unit of the Seventh Fleet from 1 April 1961 until 17 July 1961. During this period, the ship performed her primary mission of providing an advanced base for seaplane squadrons and served as flagship for U.S. Taiwan Patrol Force. Most of the ship's operations were conducted in Buckner Bay, Okinawa where units of Patrol Squadron Forty and Fifty were supported for periods of short duration. In addition the ship visited the following ports while deployed: Hong Kong, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Iwakuni, Kobe, Sasebo and Yokosuka, Japan. The ship departed WestPac on 17 July 1961 and arrived in San Francisco on the 31st of that month.

On 21 August, the ship's mid-cycle overhaul period began in Williamette Shipyard at Richmond, California and continued until 22 September. After the yard period, the ship was engaged in type training and independent ship exercises while operating out of the Naval Air Station, Alameda, California.

On 6 November 1961, Salisbury Sound established a seadrome at White Cove, Santa Catalina Island and operated with P5M aircraft from Patrol Squadron Forty-Two for three days. Other operational exercises of short duration were conducted with Patrol Squadron Forth-Eight. Type training and independent ship exercises were continued throughout the spring as the ship prepared for her next WestPac deployment. During the period the ship assisted in the Administrative Inspection of USS Currituck (AV-7), and was given an Operational Readiness Inspection.

Salisbury Sound deployed to WestPac on 28 May 1962. She served as flagship for Rear Admiral B.M. Stran, USN, Commander Patrol Force Seventh Fleet/Commander Taiwan Patrol Force. While in port at White Beach, Buckner Bay, Okinawa, she continually maintained an operational seadrome which operated on a 24-hour, all-weather basis. While deployed, Salisbury Sound operated in support of scheduled exercises with Patrol Squadron Forty from 13 to 17 August and Patrol Squadron Forty from 13 to 16 September.

The ship visited Yokosuka, Kagoshima, Iwakuni, Sasebo, and Kobe, Japan; plus Hong Kong, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, and Sangley Point, Philippine Islands. Significant contributions were made to the people-to-people program through blood, general visiting, and guided tours for special groups.

The ship was relieved by Currituck (AV-7) on 14 November 1962, and sailed for Alameda, California the next day. A gala welcome awaited her arrival on 29 November. The remainder of 1962 was devoted to a leave period while the ship remained in Alameda, California.

On 15 January 1963, Salisbury Sound entered Williamette Iron and Steel Company Shipyard at Richmond, California for her periodic major overhaul. In addition to routine overhaul and maintenance, the ship's wooden seaplane deck was renewed and several new radio antennas were installed. Included in the latter was a large "Decone Cage" antenna installed on the forecastle at frame 5. This added another feature to the silhouette. Dry-docking for cleaning and preserving the underside of the hull, was accomplished during the period 2 to 16 February.

On 1 March 1963, a change of Command ceremony was held at which Capt. Hugh M. Durham, USN, relieved Capt. James L. Holloway, III, USN, as commanding officer. The yard period over and sea trials complete on 16 April, Salisbury Sound rejoined the operating forces. After a short period in Alameda for refitting and replenishment, the ship sailed to San Diego and reported to Commander Fleet Training for operational control and refresher training. The period 13 to 24 May was spent conducting simulated battle problems, ship's drills, and damage control problems while underway. The was followed by a week of Air operations at San Diego Bay , working with aircraft from Patrol Squadron Forty-Eight.

After completion of underway training and a short period in Alameda, Salisbury Sound sailed to Oak Harbor, Washington and reported to Commander Fleet Air Wing Whidbey for operational control. From 17 to 26 June, day an night antisubmarine warfare seaplane operations were conducted with Patrol Squadron Forty-Seven embarked. This advanced training was conducted in Holmes Harbor, an elongated body of water near Saratoga Straits, a component of the Puget Sound complex.

The ships departed Whidbey Island on 28 June 1963 to return to Alameda. The operational schedule for the months of July and August included an Operational Readiness Inspection and an Administration Material Inspection. The ship sailed to San Diego and reported to Commander Fleet Air Wing San Diego on 24 July for the conduct of the Operational Readiness Inspection. Commander Fleet Air Wing Fourteen and Commander Fleet Air Training Group, San Diego, assisted in the inspection. Selected operational exercises involving seamanship, navigation, gunnery, and damage control problems were conducted in the San Diego ocean operation area. These were followed by a simulated battle problem to test the crew's ability to perform as an integrated fighting unit. The final portion of this inspection was conducted in White Cove, Santa Catalina Island, and included the conduct of air exercises and seaplane support exercises applicable to the type ship.

Upon return to Alameda on 2 August, the ship made final preparations for the Administration Inspection to be held by Commander Fleet Air Alameda on 6-7 August. The inspection of administrative organization and procedures was completed the first day, and was followed by a personnel inspection of the brew by Rear Admiral D.J. Welch, USN, on 7 August.

Salisbury Sound received the following Commendations and awards for the competitive year 1962-1963, which were presented to the ship after the close of fiscal year 1963:

A. Ney Award for the best General Mess in type.
B. ComNavAirPac Battle Efficiency Awards for Engineering and Communications.

It was during this period that the Chief of Naval Operations informed the ships that the homeport was to be changed from NAS Alameda, California to NAS Whidbey Island, Washington. The effective date for rthe change for administrative purposes was established as 29 June 1963. However, in view of the ship's forthcoming deployment, the physical shift would not occur until the return from WestPac in March of 1964.

On 26 August 1963, the ship departed Alameda for her scheduled deployment to the Western Pacific. On 7 September, Operational Control was changed to Commander Seventh Fleet. The ship was assigned to Task Force Seventy-Two and further designated Task Group Seventy-Two.

Upon arrival in Yokosuka, Japan on 10 September, action to shift the staff of Commander Patrol Force, Seventh Fleet, from USS Pine Island to USS Salisbury Sound was commenced immediately. The flag of Rear Admiral R.A. MacPherson, USN, was broken on 12 September, and Salisbury Sound officially relieved Pine Island as flagship.

The ship arrived in Buckner Bay on 19 September, and established a seadrome. Air operations with detachments from both Patrol Squadron Forty and Patrol Squadron Fifty were conducted during intervals in port Buckner Bay.

[During September and October, Salisbury Sound made operational visits to Yokosuka (10 Sep), Iwakuni (2 Oct), Beppu, Japan (5 Oct), and to Sangley Point, P.I. (28 Oct).]

At the conclusion of the port visit to the Philippines, the ship established a seadrome in the southern part of Subic Bay. From here, with Patrol Squadron Forty embarked, the command was to participate in a fleet exercise, Operation Yellow Bird. The operation was subsequently canceled; however, the ship, with twelve aircraft from Patrol Squadron Forty conducted operational and training operations from 5-9 November.

A port visit was made to Singapore in the Federation of Malaysia from 28-29 November. Salisbury Sound was the first US warship to visit this port after formation of the federation in October. People-to-People activities were scheduled which included a significant contribution of blood by crew members to the Singapore Blood Bank and a Christmas party for under privileged children. Upon departure from Singapore, the ship crossed the Equator into the Southern Hemisphere at longitude 105º37' E, at 0911 Zulu on 9 December, while on operations prior to return to Okinawa. [Because of the 30-day mourning period for President Kennedy's assination, the usual ceremonies were not performed.]

Arrival in Buckner Bay was on 18 December. The ship remained in port for the remainder of 1963, observing Christmas and New Year holiday period in Okinawa.

On 8 January 1964, Salisbury Sound departed for Keelung, Taiwan and Hong Kong. While in Keelung, Admiral Ni, CINC of the Republic of China Navy called on Rear Admiral MacPherson and Capt. Durham. The ship returned to Buckner Bay on 23 January.

Patrol Squadron Fifty flew in three aircraft to Buckner Bay on 27 January. Heavy winds and sea conditions damaged an engine and a prop on one aircraft necessitating an engine change. No sooner was this engine changed than a second engine failed. The second aircraft was hoisted aboard just prior to the ship getting underway for Sasebo, Japan on 3 February. This engine was changed enroute to and in Sasebo.

Salisbury Sound arrived at Sasebo on 5 February and departed for Buckner Bay on 8 February arriving there on 10 February.

On 16 February 1964, the ship shifted berths to Naha Port in order to shift the flag to USS Currituck. The shift was made on 18 February and immediately following, Salisbury Sound got underway for Oak Harbor, Washington, arriving there on 6 March 1964.

Capt. Merle M. Hershey relieved Capt. Hugh M. Durham on 10 March 1964.

On 28 March Salisbury Sound got underway on two hours notice for Kodiak, Alaska to assist in recovery operations following the tidal wave that hit Kodiak Island on the 27th [the "Good Friday" earthquake]. Arrival was on 31 March and parties were immediately organized to assist in the clean up.

During the 1963-64 competition cycle, Salisbury Sound received Battle Efficiency Awards for the Air and Engineering Departments.

During her operations in Alaska the Salisbury Sound provided electricity, hot water and working parties of up to 40 hands to assist the stricken station to clear debris. For her efforts, she was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal.

On April 10 the ship departed Kodiak and returned to her homeport at Whidbey Island. She arrived four days later and on 16 May held open house at Oak Harbor.

During June, provisions and fuel were taken aboard in preparations for a cold weather cruise. Aviation gasoline was pumped aboard from the ship's sister, the Pine Island, and the ship's fuel tanks were topped off readying her for her 15 June departure for Cold Bay, Alaska.

Once anchored in Cold Bay 20 June, seadrome operations with VP-47 seaplanes commenced. On securing these operations 30 June 1964 and heaving in the anchor, the ship cruised the coast of Alaska stopping at Haines, Juneau and Sitka. She was in Haines for the Fourth of July celebrations. On 11 July, the ship departed Alaska for her return voyage and arrived back at Oak Harbor 13 July.

She remained at anchor until 6 August and then sailed up Puget Sound to Seattle, where she remained at Pier 91 for four days. On the 10th, the Salisbury Sound returned to Oak Harbor by way of Bangor, Washington, where she loaded ammunition.

On 17 August, she pulled out of Oak Harbor and set sail for San Francisco. She was in San Francisco three days before cruising beneath the Golden Gate Bridge and heading north to Oak Harbor.

Salisbury Sound was anchored at Oak Harbor until 10 September when she moved to Astoria, Oregon and commenced seaplane operations for 10 days. She returned home 22 September and remained there until 8 October except for a one-day dependents' cruise on 3 October.

She sailed to San Diego, California for supplies 12 October and then went to Long Beach Naval Station for minor repairs.

On 19 October 1964, the Salisbury Sound anchored in White Cove, California off Catalina Island and commenced seaplane operations. She returned to Whidbey Island 26 October and remained there until departing for a Far East cruise.

On pulling into Yokosuka, Japan, the Salisbury Sound tied next to the Pine Island, her sister ship, and on 1 December the Commander Patrol Force Seventh Fleet shifted his command to the AV-13. Four days later the Salisbury Sound left for Buckner Bay, Okinawa.

The ship spent Christmas and New Year's in Buckner Bay and on 6 January 1965 lifted anchor for Keelung. She stood in Keelung two days on 8 January left for Kaohsiung and then on 14 January pulled into Naha, Okinawa.

She returned to her homeport overseas, Buckner Bay, 19 January and remained there until 5 February when she departed for Manila Bay.

She stood off Sangley Point in Manila Bay on four hours standby until the next day when she steamed for DaNang, South Viet Nam.

For five days from 12 February she operated a seadrome at DaNang. She returned to Sangley Point and then to Buckner Bay where she pulled in 23 February.

On 25 February, Captain Earnest R. Horrell relieved Captain Merle M. Hershey as Commanding Officer.

March 22 the Salisbury Sound left Buckner Bay for Hong Kong where she anchored for six days. The American Counsel General visited the ship 26 March.

March 31 the Salisbury Sound left the world's most populated city for Buckner Bay arriving there 3 April.

On 30 April the ship left Buckner Bay for Subic Bay, Philippines, arriving there 3 May. Five days later she left Subic Bay and steamed into Manila Bay and then to Poula Condore, South Viet Nam, arriving 11 May and setting up a seadrome the next day. On 20 May the Salisbury Sound secured seaplane operations and sailed for Bangkok, Thailand.

While in Bangkok the ship was visited by officials of the Thai Royal navy and British naval officers.

Culao Cham Island, South Viet Nam was the next port of call. Leaving Bangkok 27 May, the ship was refueled at sea while underway 29 May. She arrived at her destination 31 May and set up seadrome operations.

On 5 June she closed down her seaplane operations and sailed for Subic Bay, where she anchored for two days before returning to the United States. The trip across the Pacific took 18 days and the Salisbury Sound arrived at Oak Harbor 26 June.

On 5 August the Salisbury Sound reported to Seattle for the Sea Fair, the Navy's part in the World Fair being held in Seattle. She remained in Seattle for four days before returning to Oak Harbor.

At her next port of call, Juneau, Alaska, the Salisbury Sound once again set up a seadrome on arrival 10 September. Three days later she lifted anchor and sailed for Kodiak, Alaska where she was warmly greeted on 15 September as a visitor after her timely help following the earthquake of the year before. After a five day visit, she sailed for Anchorage, arriving 21 September. Two days later she heaved in the anchor and returned to Oak Harbor.

From 27 September until 5 February 1966 the Salisbury Sound remained on the West Coast, moving only to pick up supplies or undergo repairs prior to her final cruise.

After visits to San Diego for supplies, Bangor, Washington for ammunition and Bremerton shipyards for repairs, the Salisbury Sound departed the United States from San Diego 5 February for Yokosuka, Japan. The ship left Yokosuka 23 February and made quick stops in Kobe, Japan and Buckner Bay, Okinawa before getting back to the business of tending her seaplanes in Cam Ranh Bay, South Viet Nam. She arrived there on 4 March.

Capt. Clarence E. Mackey relieved Capt. Earnest R. Horrell as Commanding Officer of the Salisbury Sound 7 March. It was the first time a United States man-o-war changed Captains in Viet Nam.

On March 26 the ship secured her seadrome operations and pulled out of Cam Ranh Bay and set her charts for Subic Bay, P.I., arriving there two days later for a five day stay before steaming to Hong Kong.

It was a 24-hour journey from Buckner Bay to Keelung, Taiwan, and after three days in port there, the Salisbury Sound headed for Kaohsiung, Taiwan, arriving 9 May. Returning to Cam Ranh Bay, South Viet Nam on 15 May, the ship set up her seadrome and tendered her planes until 3 June, when she lifted anchor and steamed for Bangkok, Thailand, for a four-day goodwill visit. She went back to Subic Bay for provisions and rest for the crew before beginning nearly three months of seaplane operations: in Buckner Bay from 17 June to 6 July, in Cam Ranh Bay from 10 July to 6 August, and again in Buckner Bay from 12 to 29 August.

On the 29th, the ship headed for Sasebo, Japan for a goodwill visit and rest for the crew arriving 31 August. After a ship's party, the USS Salisbury Sound pulled out of Sasebo 9 September and headed to Buckner Bay for fueling and supplies. The ship departed Buckner Bay 27 September and headed for Subic Bay, where she moored alongside the Currituck, her sister ship, on 30 September, and transferred the Commander Patrol Force Seventh Fleet, Rear Adm. Roy M. Isaman to the Currituck before heading to Cam Ranh Bay on 5 October.

During her last operations in Cam Ranh Bay, from 7 to 27 October, the ship pumped her millionth gallon of aviation fuel to her attached seaplanes, setting a record for a Seaplane Tender for number of gallons pumped during one cruise. On 27 October, the Salisbury Sound hoisted a 540-foot homeward bound pennant and steamed from Cam Ranh Bay for the last time.

Another rarity, a double hoist, was accomplished for the trip from Cam Ranh Bay to Sangley Point in Manila Bay when a second Martin Marlin seaplane developed engine trouble just before departure time, forcing the Salisbury Sound to accommodate the second plane on her deck. After off-loading the giant planes in Manila Bay, the ship sailed for Subic Bay, arriving the same day, 29 October.

On 2 November the ship pulled out of Subic Bay and steamed for Buckner Bay for refueling before starting across the Pacific bound for the United States. The long-awaited trip back began 5 November. The Salisbury Sound pulled into Oak Harbor for the last time 21 November, in time for her crew to enjoy Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's celebrations.

The ship bid farewell to her homeport 3 January 1967, and started her last voyage to Bremerton, Washington, where she docked at Pier Delta at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.

The ship's Executive Officer, Commander Austin V. Young relieved Capt. Clarence E. Mackey as Commanding Officer 13 January 1967.

On 31 March 1967, the USS Salisbury Sound was decommissioned and joined the Reserve Fleet, ending a 21-year career.

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "Parol Squadron One, home ported at the Naval Air Station, Barbers Point, Hawaii, is a land-based anti-submarine patrol squadron currently flying the P-3B(D) "Orion". The squadron has an average complement of 65 officers and 255 enlisted personnel. Patrol Squadron One was commissioned in Deland, Florida on 15 February, 1943 as Bombing Squadron 128 (VB-128). The squadron first flew the twin engine PV-1 on ASW missions out of NAS Floyd Bennett, Brooklyn, NY. In August, 1943, the squadron deployed to Iceland to support the antisubmarine operations in the North Atlantic convoy lanes. While flying out of Iceland, the unit was credited with sinking one German U-Boat and damaging another. In December, 1943, the convoy lanes were moved south, out of range of the "Venturas" and VB-128 was moved to Puerto Rico where it remained until the summer of 1944. The squadron's designation was then changed to VPB-128 and was moved to the Philippines where it carried out bombing, anti-shipping and antisubmarine mission until the end of the war. Shortly after VJ day, the squadron moved to Okinawa where it remained until 1947. During this period its designation changed to VP-ML-1 and the unit transitioned to the new PV-1 "Harpoon". VP-ML-1 returned to San Diego, California in March, 1947 and received the new P2V-2 "Neptune", a longer range twin engine patrol aircraft. On 13 January 1948 the squadron moved to NAS Whidbey Island, Washington, Washington. In September of that year the squadron was given it present name. After reporting to Whidbey Island, VP-1 made frequent deployments to Alaska, Japan, Vietnam and the Philippines. In May, 1955, Patrol Squadron One, then flying the P2V-5, became the first squadron to make an around-the-world cruise. The chain encircling the globe on the squadron patch is symbolic of this feat. In February, 1966, VP-1 deployed to Iwakuni, Japan and also maintained a seven-plane detachment at Tan Son Nhut Air Base in the Republic of Vietnam in support of Operation Market Time. VP-1 became the first patrol squadron to suffer casualties in the Vietnam conflict when the air base was attacked on 13 April, 1966. During this attack, one VP-1 man was killed five others wounded, and five detachment aircraft were damaged. During this deployment, the squadron achieved an unprecedented readiness figure of 100% and returned to Whidbey Island with all twelve crews having achieved "Alpha" status, the highest readiness that can be achieved by a crew. In May 1967 and again in August 1968 Patrol Squadron One deployed to Sangley Point, Republic of the Philippines, and concurrently maintained a detachment of aircraft and personnel at Cam Ranh Bay, Republic of Vietnam. VP-1 became the first squadron to operate full-time in support of Operation Market Time from the new facility at Cam Ranh Bay. Patrol Squadron One became the last fleet squadron to transition to the P-3 "Orion" with the first new aircraft arriving at Whidbey Island on 1 July 1969. Suring the squadron's next deployment to MCAS Iwakuni, which began in February 1970, their homeport was changed to NAS Barbers Point, Hawaii. In October 1971, VP-1 deployed to Sangley Point, Republic of the Philippines, and maintained a detachment at Cam Ranh Bay, Republic of Vietnam. They completed the deployment operating out of Cubi Point, Republic of the Philippines, becoming the first patrol squadron to operate out of that facility. When the squadron again deployed to Cubi Point in October 1972 they were operating the new DIFAR equipped P-3B retrofit aircraft. During this deployment they maintained a detachment at U-Tapao, Thailand. After returning to NAS Barbers Point, Hawaii, Patrol Squadron One received the Coastal Command Trophy on June 1973. This award was presented to the squadron for displaying the highest degree of airborne ASW proficiency during the previous 18 month competitive cycle among the various Pacific Fleet patrol Squadrons. Patrols Squadron one deployed to Naha, Okinawa in May 1974 for six months. Following that, the squadron enjoyed a highly productive at-home period at Barbers Point. Concerted effort and close attention to detail during that period resulted in the squadron being nominated for the Arleigh Burke Trophy by COMPATWINGSPAC as the most improved Pacific Fleet patrol squadron. In November 1975, Patrol Squadron one deployed to Cubi Point, Republic of the Philippines and maintained detachments at U-Tapao, Thailand and Diego Garcia, Indian Ocean. The squadron returned in May and in December under took six months of detachments operations at NAS Agana Guam. In September 1977 Patrol Squadron One was presented the Coastal Command Trophy for the competitive cycle ending in June. An achievement which reflects the intense professional and total dedication of all hands in the sustained high degree of effectiveness in airborne ASW. I joined the squadron in December 1977 on deployment to Cubi Point. What a first cruise that was!...Michael E. Thompson (VP-1, Crew 1, 1977-1979)" Contributed by Michael E. Thompson Michaelt@AUSVMR.VNET.IBM.COM

"VP-1 History Summary Page"

Selection Page

VPNAVY Copyrighted © 1996 - 2023