VPNAVY VP-5 Mercury Capsule Recovery
VPNAVY Address

HistoryVP-50 HistoryHistory

Circa 1978

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: Naval Aviation September 1978 "...History and Change-Of-Command - Page 27 and 29 - Naval Aviation News - September 1978..." WebSite: http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/backissues/1970s/1978/sep78.pdf [09OCT2004]

VP History ThumbnailCamera

Circa 1977

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: Naval Aviation September 1977 "...Change-Of-Command - Page 32 - Naval Aviation News - September 1977..." WebSite: http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/backissues/1970s/1977/sep77.pdf [08OCT2004]

VP History Thumbnail

Circa 1975

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: History ThumbnailCameraVP-50 Deployment "...NAF Misawa, Japan winter of 1975/1976 and SG-01 with snow was BUNO: 158213 (I think). I was a FE on Crew's 1 and 2 during period of 1975 to 1979 with two deployments to NAF Misawa, Japan and one to NAF Kadena, Okinawa, Japan in 1979..." Contributed by Steve steve48la@dslextreme.com [08SEP2008]

Circa 1974

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...NAS Agana, Guam. The first picture (left) was our logo on the maintenance control building. The second one (right) was right after a heavy rain in May 1974. That's SG-02 and SG-04 on the line. The sunsets were very beautiful..." Contributed by YATES, Larry obman52@yahoo.com [27FEB2006]

History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail

Circa 1973

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: History ThumbnailCamera "...Photo taken in 1973 in Japan, I think at NAS Iwakuni, Japan, but may have been NAS Atsugi, Japan, I canít remember for sure. A mixed crew from VP-50 went to Japan to show off the P-3C to the brass of the Japanese Navy. I canít remember all the names, but I do a few: Front row: second from left- AW2 Steven Murphy, 5th from left LCDR Green, 7th from left CO Commander Van Duesen, far right LCDR Ledbetter. Back Row: 1st from right AW2 James Fischer (me), 2nd from right AW1 Bob McDaniel. Aircraft was BUNO: 158219..." Contributed by FISCHER, AW2 James A. jafischer1948@hotmail.com [05JAN2012]

Circa 1971

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: Naval Aviation August 1971 "...On Patrol - Page 34 - Naval Aviation News - August 1971..." WebSite: http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/backissues/1970s/1971/aug71.pdf [23SEP2004]

VP History ThumbnailCamera

Circa 1970

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: History ThumbnailCameraMeritorious Unit Citation "...Republic of Vietnam Armed Forces Meritorious Unit Citation (Gallantry Cross)..." Official U. S. Navy Records (National Archives and Records Administration) via Fold3 http://www.fold3.com/ [14DEC2012]

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: Naval Aviation April 1970 "...On Patrol - Page 24 - Naval Aviation News - April 1970..." WebSite: http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/backissues/1970s/1970/apr70.pdf [17SEP2004]

History - Tap To Enlarge ThumbnailHistory - Tap To Enlarge Thumbnail

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...Circa 1970...Patrol Squadron 50 was originally commissioned as VP-892, a reserve squadron home ported at Seattle. In September of 1950, at the outbreak of the Korean War, VP-892 was the first patrol squadron to be ordered to active duty. The Squadron was redesignated VP-50 in 1953. From 1960 until 1964, the Squadron was permanently stationed at the U. S. Marine Corps Air Facility at Iwakuni, Japan, after which their home port was changed to NAS North Island, San Diego, California. The Squadron operated seaplanes throughout its early history, being one of the last two ASW patrol squadrons to do so, finally ceasing seaplane operations in 1967 when they moved to NAS Moffett Field, California to transition to the P-3..." Contributed by Jan Hartman [23MAY2000]

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...A comment concerning the EC121 aircraft in WestPac...I remember being deployed to NAS Sangley Point, Philippines in 1970 and visiting the Marine Corps Beer Lounge, trying to enjoy my .10 San Miguel beer during happy hour, only to have it vibrate off the bar because of the EC-121 turning up at the head of the runway, which was in close proximity to the club...everything was in close proximity at NAS Sangley Point, Philippines. While VP-50 was stationed at NAS Sangley Point, some crew members got a beanbrained idea to confiscate the nude picture over the bar at the Marine Club. They got the painting, and had it on a P3 heading for Cam Ranh Bay, when the marines realized that the painting was gone, and initiated a base wide search for it. When word got to the C.O. of the plot our squadron members had, he ordered us to return the painting mosh kosh. The marines didn't have much, but they weren't about to let the painting leave the base. I remembered this when I read the comments from Earles L. McCaul..." Contributed by AWC Ken Jackson (Ret) Ken@score.com

Just thought I would forward you an e-mail I received from the person who was responsible for the missing nude painting from NS Sangley Point, Philippines...to set the record straight...I guess my sources weren't entirely accurate about the escapade...Ken Jackson-----"...I remember the episode about the nude picture quite well. I led the raid which was executed masterfully by my crew (what do you mean a beanbrained idea!!). Anyway, here are the actual facts of the matter......Our crew (Crew Six) had taken to hanging out at the Marine Club for no particular good reason except that it seemed to offer the possibility of a little friendly disagreement. Also, the "Os" and the "Es" could get together there a little easier (Cavite City is another story)......We had been watching the picture in question for some time. Her name was "Typhoon Sally" and she had originally hung over the bar in the Acey Duecy Club at Pearl Harbor. I saw her there while visiting the club as an Ensign in 1968. She had been commissioned by a sailor from the Fleet Weather Detachment while on liberty in Tiuana. She was a beautiful copy of a Playboy Playmate done on the typical black velvet. Some unidentified Marines had stolen her and brought her to NS Sangley Point, Philippines. Her frame was adorned with a small brass plate commemorating this feat. At some point in time, after a few painted label San Miguels, we decided that this outrage ought to be rectified......We planned the operation for some time (a few days, anyway) and set the appropriate time, 10 November, the Marine Corps Birthday. We figured that it would be especially fitting if this could be done while every Marine on base was in the club in the room next door and getting soused. We enlisted the aid of the duty driver and put the plan into action. It was carried off with exquisite VP style teamwork and surgical precision. The bar was jumped, the trophy rescued, and relayed out of the building into the waiting duty truck in seconds. All personnel escaped the scene successfully......At this point the facts differ slightly from your account. Here is the true poop......The boarding party rendevoused with the duty truck and immediately delivered the picture to the Skipper (CDR., later Admiral, Pringle) in his room at the BOQ. He immediately broke out a bottle of very good Scotch and congratulated the raiders on the success of their mission......By this time, the Marines had been alerted by the bartender as to what had happened. They immediately sprang into action......They left the club in force and tried to recover from the hit. Some fool unlocked the arsenal and they all proceeded to arm themselves. They went to the flight line and cordoned off the mission aircraft which was being pre-flighted at the time and then secured one very astonished duty officer (neither he nor the crew of the aircraft had any inkling of what was going on)......Meanwhile back in CDR. Pringle's room, the celebration was just getting started. About that time, his phone rang. It was the duty officer saying that he had an office full of drunk Marines with guns mumbling about some picture and what should he do. Just moments later, there was a knock at the door. The Skipper stashed the painting under his bed and answered it. It was a Marine Captain and one very worried looking Major......The Major was saying something about he didn't know if he could manage to control the situation and that something had to be done. CDR. Pringle adamantly denied any knowledge of what this was all about and said that yes he did have flight crews to his room from time to time for a drink......The Major was apparently better than he thought he was because after about an hour he managed to get the mission crew and the duty officer released. Activity continued about the base for most of the night and the Sgt. at Arms managed to collect all weapons. There were no further incidents......At first light, the Skipper sent the duty driver into Cavite to have another suitable plaque made and attached to the picture. Then he summoned me and arranged a suitable ceromony at Marine HQ to return the painting......All in all, it was a great night..." Contributed by (LT.) Jim Coleman 206yazoo@earthlink.net WebSite: http://yazoo.net/

HistoryA BIT OF HISTORY: "...When I was in VP-50 in the early 70's, was on a flight out of Midway Island, monitoring a Russian ICBM recovery. We had deployed a sonobuoy pattern around a Russian ship to check for subsurface contact, and the ship recovered a sonobuoy. The next thing I heard was the very strong engine and Russian voices saying something. We sent the acoustic tape to the acoustic gurus, and they interpreted the Russians saying something like..."Hey, Ivan...they can't hear us now...we have their listening device." NISC used the recording for years during their annual briefings to the fleet..." Contributed by AWC Ken Jackson (Ret) Ken@score.com

"VP-50 History Summary Page"

Selection Page

VPNAVY Copyrighted © 1996 - 2023